[comp.mail.sendmail] Re^2: Short-circuiting a route

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (06/28/89)

Karl's solution is purely syntactic; in such a case short-circuiting
uucp1!uucp2!uucp3!domain.name!user into domain.name!user is not necessarily a
good idea if domain.name happens to be a UUCP-only site... You may be closer
to domain.name than the official forwarder, and you leave users no way to
route around broken forwarders (such things do happen).  A solution to this
problem would likely have to be far more involved (and I'm ignoring things
like the fact that it is often the case that uucp3 will know how to rewrite
headers to please domain.name, whereas you may end up generating addresses
that they won't like one bit).

To reiterate: a domain name does not imply direct internet connectivity.  The
canadian domain, .Ca, contains machines that are exclusively on Bitnet (oups,
NetNorth/CardPunchNet :-), CDNNET (X.400), UUCP and the Internet.

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

karl@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (06/28/89)

My solution, while purely syntactic, is nonetheless correct for bona
fide, registered domains.  If there exists a `.' somewhere in a
!-path, then that is an absolute address from that entity rightward.
A problem with a dead MX forwarder not responding is, quite frankly,
not my problem - if someone's MX is dead, s/he had better find a way
to get a different MX fast or there will be surely hell to pay for far
deeper and more important reasons than my particular preference to
short-circuit !-paths to the rightmost domain.

As for rewriting headers in a way palatable to the destination by a
UUCP neighbor, that is not an acceptable reason for requiring respect
of the !-path.  If the entity is a valid domain, then anyone on the
(physical, IP-based) Internet may send mail to user@domain.name
(possibly via the MX, if the domain.name is not IP-connected) and
expect that The Right Thing will happen - such special cases cannot be
enforced by anyone, and I see no reason to try.  My preferred
transport is "Internet via domain-based addressing" (modulo the
special cases of our immediate UUCP neighbors, in which case it
becomes "UUCP via domain-based addressing"), and if mail is going to
pass through my machines, then it's going to be treated in like
manner.

I am a Domain Absolutist, for which I do not apologize.  The critical
point of my short-circuit is nothing more than the observation of both
`.' and `!' in a !-path.

--Karl

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (06/29/89)

The problem with short-circuiting bang paths is that YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT
EVERYONE IS DOING, and there may be a very good reason why the path is
the way it is. For example, if you look up the MX record for "*.fidonet.org",
which is a valid, registered domain, you will see that it points at my
machine handies.ucar.edu. We, however, do not have a direct connection
to everyone in fidonet.org. No one on the Internet does. So what do I
do? I generate a BANG PATH. This means that addresses that look like
user@f###.n###.z#.fidonet.org get sent to handies, which converts them
into a form like path!to!appropriate!fidogateway!f###.n###.z#.fidonet.org!user.
Now, take a guess what happens if some too smart site tries to short-circuit
the bang path? Can you say infinite loop? In fact, what was once a trivial
service to provide for the Fidonet folks is now becoming a real pain,
precisely because some sites insist on short-circuiting bang paths. I
have to find out which sites these are (always the hard way) and then
mark them DEAD in my pathalias database.
  Please, DON'T reroute explicitly-specified paths!! I am sure that
fidonet.org is not the only valid domain that does something like this.
Thanks.

--Greg

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (06/29/89)

I still disagree with Greg, even though I gave in (for now) and altered
my sendmail rules to accommodate fidonet.org and another domain that had
the same problem.

I think that if fidonet or anyone else wants to have mail from the
internet enter their realm at a point chosen by them, then they should
provide a person (or some automated tool) to keep up the MX records at
the required level of detail.

The domain's nameserver does not need to be on the same host as any of
the MX records point to.  In fact, in fidonet.org's case they aren't.
They're at orst.edu.  Some fidonet ruler ought to replace the single
all-encompassing wildcard record with a more detailed set.  Mail for
each zone or subnet can then be handed directly to a willing internet-
to-fidonet forwarder by any internet site, and each such forwarder can
confidently inject all received fidonet mail at the nearest fidonet
entry point.

Side questions: Is fidonet not fully connected internally?  If they are
not, then how do they forward among disjoint components?  Not over the
internet, I hope!  And if they are fully connected internally, why
should the UUCP or internet world be expected move fidonet's mail around
when fidonet is capable of, but not willing to, do so itself?
Matt Crawford	     		matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu

In article <4147@tank.uchicago.edu> matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) writes:
>I think that if fidonet or anyone else wants to have mail from the
>internet enter their realm at a point chosen by them, then they should
>provide a person (or some automated tool) to keep up the MX records at
>the required level of detail.

   I agree that they "should" do this, but in the net world, where people
are often maintaining the software unofficially in their "spare" time, lots
of people do things that just get the job done without necessarily being the
"best" way to do it. That is the reality we live in.
   We all depend on other sites to provide service for us without any benefit
to themselves; without this, the net as it is now couldn't exist. I don't know
about anyone else, but my philosophy is always to ask for the lowest level
of service that is absolutely necessary to get the job done. To do as Matt
suggests above would require either asking for access to the orst.edu machine
or having someone there willing to do frequent updates for them. If it were
my machine providing that service, I wouldn't like being asked (in fact,
I was already asked to install patches to the UUCP maps to get Fido nodes
reachable faster than the usual map posting procedure and I refused
because I didn't want to make the time commitment. And I can imagine what
my bosses would say if they actually went so far as to ask for an account
on the machine!) The only reason I agreed to provide routing service for
them is because it was trivial to implement and requires no maintenance
on my part (or didn't, until sites started doing aggressive rerouting!) All
the maintenance is done by their gateway administrators who post appropriate
map entries.
  I wonder how many domains would fall apart if we made them all maintain
complete MX information like they "should" do?

--Greg

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (06/29/89)

Imagine, a message from someone at Princeton to a person at a fidosite
at Rutgers has to pass through ncar, go all the way to San Francisco,
and then back through the phone lines to New Jersey?

Now that's efficient.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) (06/29/89)

In article <4147@tank.uchicago.edu> matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) writes:
=I think that if fidonet or anyone else wants to have mail from the
=internet enter their realm at a point chosen by them, then they should
=provide a person (or some automated tool) to keep up the MX records at
=the required level of detail.

I think you've missed a more important reason: cost.  Suppose I have
my uucp site registered, with uunet as my forwarder.  If you short circuit
bang paths you may either cost me $1.50 for a daytime delivery or hold
up my mail until uunet calls me at night.

This is a tired, old, subject.  Don't reroute, it's RUDE.
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb@vicom.com

jbaltz@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Jerry B. Altzman) (06/29/89)

In article <1989Jun28.215826.19489@vicom.com> lmb@vicom.COM (Larry Blair) writes:

>This is a tired, old, subject.  Don't reroute, it's RUDE.

Damn straight. I send mail often from a site that ends up routing it's uucp
mail through rutgers. I send mail, rutgers looks ahead, decides that the
wendy that I'm sending mail to is the one at Wellesley College, instead of
the one *I* wanted to send mail to, somewhere near San Jose...

If I remember, about 2 years ago, Paul Vixie (from decwrl at the time;
anyone know where he is?) went on a "no reroute" tirade. Any mailer that
reroutes my *explicitly* routed mail should be taken out and shot. :)

These are definitely my opinions, and not Columbia's.

>--
>Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb@vicom.com

I don't speak for Columbia, and Columbia doesn't speak for me.

/jerry altzman

--
jerry altzman	"We've got to get in to get out"         	 212 854 3538
jbaltz@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu                            jauus@cuvmb (bitnet)

gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) (06/29/89)

Just to note a case where short-circuiting uucp paths to the rightmost
domain doesn't work:

	hop!abc.xyz.com!node.decnet!user

I see these things all the time.  I believe something called Ultrix
generates them. :-)  If you short circuit to the rightmost domain,
then letters so addressed cannot be delivered.  Isn't the ultimate
goal to provide better service?

Since this is uucp we're talking about, I don't think you can say that
node.decnet or node.dnet is illegal, though I'd agree heartily that it's
ugly and disgusting.

--
Greg Paris <gmp@ray.com>
{decuac,necntc,uiucdcs,uunet}!rayssd!gmp

"You!  What planet is this?!"

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (06/30/89)

Jerry B. Altzman rants:
) I send mail, rutgers looks ahead, decides that the
) wendy that I'm sending mail to is the one at Wellesley College, instead of
) the one *I* wanted to send mail to, somewhere near San Jose...

Are you following the topic carefully, Jerry?  The rest of us are
talking about skipping ahead in the bang path only to a fully-
qualified domain name.  This cannot possibly cause the problem
you complain about.  In fact, sometimes it will prevent the problem!
Matt Crawford	     		matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (07/04/89)

) Matt Crawford sez:
) >I think that if fidonet or anyone else wants to have mail from the
) >internet enter their realm at a point chosen by them, then they should
) >provide a person (or some automated tool) to keep up the MX records at
) >the required level of detail.

And Greg Woods sez:
)    I agree that they "should" do this, but in the net world, where people
) are often maintaining the software unofficially in their "spare" time, lots
) of people do things that just get the job done without necessarily being the
) "best" way to do it.  ...
)    We all depend on other sites to provide service for us without any benefit
) to themselves; ... my philosophy is always to ask for the lowest level
) of service that is absolutely necessary to get the job done. To do as Matt
) suggests above would require either asking for access to the orst.edu machine
) or having someone there willing to do frequent updates for them.

You're interpreting this situation as if it were some project of your
own and you are asking ORST for a favor.  It's the other way around -
Fidonet asked ORST for one favor and you for another, but is not
providing the effort they should to make it all work.  As a consequence,
you, I, and others wind up having to provide them MORE than "the lowest
level of service that is absolutely necessary to get the job done."

If the Fidonet people can keep their UUCP maps up to date, then they can
keep MX records up to date at an equal level of detail.  And they should,
if they want to work with the internet community.
Matt Crawford	     		matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (07/08/89)

> Matt Crawford sez:
> If the Fidonet people can keep their UUCP maps up to date, then they can
> keep MX records up to date at an equal level of detail.

   I do not believe that this is true. Consider this example: suppose
a path to one of the Fido subzones (a real-life example, BTW) looks like

ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!%s

How does one take this and determine that "asuvax" happens to be the
rightmost host in this path on the Internet, and therefore that the
MX record should point to asuvax (and while we're at it, that the real name
of "asuvax" is "asuvax.eas.asu.edu")? And how does one then insure, without
asking the site admin of asuvax (and all the other 100 hosts that will
have MX's pointing at them) that mail addressed to that Fido subzone
will be properly delivered to stjhmc? Answer: you can't.
  Actually I shouldn't say that what Matt says "isn't true", it's just
"incomplete", because he leaves out the fact that it would be orders
of magnitude more work to do it this way and would require the cooperation
of dozens of people instead of just one or two as the current method does.
  My feeling on it is that whether they "should" do it with 100 MX records
or not, until someone can point out an official Internet document (RFC?) that
specifically prohibits the way they are doing it now, is just a religious
argument.

--Greg

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (07/08/89)

Greg Woods says:

> ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!%s
>
> How does one take this and determine that "asuvax" happens to be the
> rightmost host in this path on the Internet, and therefore that the
> MX record should point to asuvax (and while we're at it, that the real name
> of "asuvax" is "asuvax.eas.asu.edu")?

net> uuhosts asuvax
UUCP mail path from bionet to asuvax:
asuvax: asuvax.eas.asu.edu!%s

UUCP mail information for host asuvax (#USENET lines show USENET news links):
#Name			asuvax
#System-CPU-OS		VAX-11/780, 4.3BSD-tahoe
#Organization		Arizona	State University, Engineering Computer Services
#Contact		Marc Lesure
#Electronic-Address	ncar!noao!asuvax!lesure, or lesure@asuvax.asu.edu
#Telephone		(602) 965-7873
#Postal-Address		Tempe, AZ 85287-5206
#Latitude-Longitude	33 25 N	/ 111 56 W city
#Remarks		aka asu.edu on CSNET/ARPA
#Written-by		web per	Marc Lesure 04/08/89
#USENET	noao
#
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
asuvax = asuvax.eas.asu.edu, enuxva.eas.asu.edu <*<*<*<*<*<*<*<*<
asuvax	anasaz(POLLED),	apciphx(POLLED), btc(POLLED), enuxha(LOCAL),
	gtephx(POLLED),	hrc(POLLED), mcdphx(DAILY), noao(DEDICATED),
	sssphx(EVENING), stjhmc(POLLED), xroads(EVENING)

Of course, one must now make a check to see if an A record exists.

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (07/13/89)

In article <Jul.7.21.34.59.1989.1538@NET.BIO.NET> lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) writes:
>vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
>asuvax = asuvax.eas.asu.edu, enuxva.eas.asu.edu <*<*<*<*<*<*<*<*<
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Of course, one must now make a check to see if an A record exists.

   And how, pray tell, does one do this if one does not have an Internet
connection? That is what the Fido folks are faced with. This discussion was
an MX database as a UUCP paths database. Without an Internet connection,
that just ain't so.

--Greg

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (07/14/89)

Greg Woods writes:
)    And how, pray tell, does one do this if one does not have an Internet
) connection? That is what the Fido folks are faced with.

Gimme a break, Greg!  Their (currently rudimentary) MX database is
installed on a machine with an internet connection, ISN'T IT????

			Matt

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (07/14/89)

In article <4426@tank.uchicago.edu> matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) writes:
>Gimme a break, Greg!  Their (currently rudimentary) MX database is
>installed on a machine with an internet connection, ISN'T IT????

  Yes, but THEY DO NOT HAVE ACCESS to this machine! In other words, unlike in
the case of maintaining routing via the UUCP maps, they have to depend on
SOMEONE ELSE to do the work. This is a VERY IMPORTANT difference!

--Greg

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (07/18/89)

(Greg and Matt are still at it ...)

) >Their MX database is
) >installed on a machine with an internet connection, ISN'T IT????
)
)   Yes, but THEY DO NOT HAVE ACCESS to this machine!

Their MX data flows INTO the machine.  With a dab of effort they could
either first get out the relevant "A" data before preparing their MX
data, or they could send in a canned script to produce the MX from the A.

The people invloved in maintaining the domain fido.org are not doing
what I think they should do.  Greg thinks the rest of us ought to
arrange things so that groups like FIDO can get by with a bare (sub-)
minimum of effort.  I think we'll continue to disagree.
Matt Crawford	     		matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu