[net.followup] Weapons for All!

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (07/05/86)

>Many people seem to think "fusion reactors are just around the corner" but I
>doubt it.  The only fusion processes occuring in nature require, at a minimum,
>a collection of mass about 8% that of the sun -- far more mass than that of
>all the known planets put together, and unlikely to fit in even a large
>basement.  It is a tough job: gravity provides the "confinement" needed by
>the fusion processes in stars, but our species has yet to devise an adequate
>substitute so we can put a little one together that works for more than a few
>microseconds, if that.
>Ed Nather

Although your explanations and clarifications in the above article (not
quoted here) seemed correct, with this paragraph you seem to lapse into
generalizations that I don't think are well-founded.

Although I agree that fusion isn't likely to become a major energy
source next week I don't think the problems are quite (or as bad as)
what you describe.

For example, as I understood the tokamak at MIT, the whole goal was to
only create fusion reactions which lasted a few microseconds. The hope
was that it provided enough energy in that brief period to power up
the lasers for the next one (and, of course, then some to draw off into
electric cherry stoners etc.) I don't think anyone wanted a totally
self-sustaining reaction as it is exhibited in nature (a star), that
would be a bit hard to control.

The basic idea was (hmm, might be way over my head here, corrections
appreciated) you pop a bit of stuff (tritium dioxide? I dunno) into
the reactor chamber, super-compress it with lasers and it creates a
fusion reaction. This gives off a lot of heat and free electrons which
can be drawn off directly. The heat can be turned into steam and thus
electricity (turbines) and the electrons can be used directly, so you
use some of that to power the lasers to do it again...

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

In article <899@bu-cs.UUCP> bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:
>appreciated) you pop a bit of stuff (tritium dioxide? I dunno) into

In a longish letter to Nather, I pointed out (among many other
things) that deuterium dioxide doesn't exist, as far as I can
tell.  Neither does tritium dioxide.  [Nits back at you.]

I do apologise for the one real [possible] error, not looking
up which decay path H(3) is most likely to take.

[By the way, if anyone is interested, lexicographically my
	H(3)2O	/	H(3)O2
is written
.PS
	(H super 3) sub 2 O	/	H super 3 O sub 2