[comp.mail.sendmail] Sendmail and smail

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (09/19/89)

Help!  I don't know what's going on here.  Recently, sendmail has been
bouncing much mail with "Mailer smail died with signal x", where x is
either 212 or 12.  Unfortunately, it also sends the message to the
recipient, and bounces to the sender, every time the queue is run.  The
only way I have found to fix it is to su to root and run the queue
manually (/usr/lib/sendmail -q).  If I run the queue manually as myself,
smail dies as usual.

Nothing on the system has changed, as far as I know.  My smail sccsid is
@(#)main.c	2.5 (smail) 9/15/87.  My Sendmail is apparently v5.51.
We're a binary-only site, running HCX/UX v3.0.

Any help would be appreciated; people are starting to shy away from
sending mail.

  Bill
--
   Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner       | aaaaaaaaa
  Internet: wcf@hcx.psu.edu                        |            r

randy@sdiego.uucp (R.C. Yount) (09/20/89)

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) writes:

>Help!  I don't know what's going on here.  Recently, sendmail has been
>bouncing much mail with "Mailer smail died with signal x", where x is
>either 212 or 12.  Unfortunately, it also sends the message to the
>recipient, and bounces to the sender, every time the queue is run.  The
>only way I have found to fix it is to su to root and run the queue
>manually (/usr/lib/sendmail -q).  If I run the queue manually as myself,
>smail dies as usual.

>Nothing on the system has changed, as far as I know.  My smail sccsid is
>@(#)main.c	2.5 (smail) 9/15/87.  My Sendmail is apparently v5.51.
>We're a binary-only site, running HCX/UX v3.0.
 I had a similar problem to this once as a result of making smail in the att
universe instead of ucb.....But the fact that you can run the queue as
su kinda leaves that out.... I'd try running sendmail from a user id with
the -x(DEBUG LEVEL) and -v switches set....re-direct output to a file and
see what it say.....

Randy Yount
Harris CSD San Diego Ca.
..uunet!sdsu!sdiego!randy