[comp.mail.sendmail] Help with sendmail and frozen cf file

peter@radig.UUCP (Peter Radig) (09/23/89)

Did anyone ever a port of sendmail to Sys V and checked it out how
to get the `freeze' routine working?

If I freeze my configuration file and try to start sendmail again
I get the messages

	No local mailer defined
	No prog mailer defined

Thanks,
Peter
--
Peter Radig        Voice: +49 69 746972
                   USENET: peter@radig.UUCP

allyn@hp-sdd.hp.com (Allyn Fratkin) (09/28/89)

In article <1153@radig.UUCP>, peter@radig.UUCP (Peter Radig) writes:
> Did anyone ever a port of sendmail to Sys V and checked it out how
> to get the `freeze' routine working?

time for a re-run....

From hp-sdd!allyn  Wed Sep 7 11:24:06 1988
From: allyn@hp-sdd.hp.com (Allyn Fratkin)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Re: Sendmail 5.59 on HP-UX
Date: 7 Sep 88 18:23:07 GMT
Sender: netnews@hp-sdd.HP.COM

In article <3077@hermes.ai.mit.edu>, wisner@altdorf.AI.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
> When I run sendmail -bz, sendmail silently exits. This makes it seem
> like the freeze was successful, but when a later sendmail tries to read
> the frozen configuration it says "No local mailer defined" and dies
> with a segmentation error.

to fix the problem, remove the word "static" from the declaration
of SymTab on or about line 38 of stab.c.

this is due to a difference in the way arrays declared "static" are
handled by the different (berkeley vs. system v) compilers.  system v
compilers put static data into the data section of the code file
while static data goes into bss under berkeley.  sendmail's freeze/thaw
routines work by writing out and later restoring only the bss and
dynamically allocated sections of the executing image.  so the SymTab
wasn't saved and it was empty in the new core image.

--
 From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin            allyn@sdd.hp.com
                          San Diego Division       - or -