[comp.mail.sendmail] Ultr3.1,undocum. mailer flag in sendmail.cf

ELSEN@esat.kuleuven.ac.be (Marc Elsen) (09/26/89)

  The Ultrix 3.1 default sendmail configuration file contains the
following entry for the DECnet mailer :

MDmail,	P=/usr/bin/mail11v3, F=mnSXxH, S=17, R=18, A=mail11 $f $x $h

 Does anyone know the meaning of the H flag in F=mnSXxH ?
 It doesn't seem documented on page 2-54 Appendix C , Mailer Flags
 (Sendmail Installation and Operation Guide) in Ultrix-32,supplementary
 documents , Volume 3 System Manager.

--

  Marc Elsen (System Manager/Software Engineer)
  Katholieke Universiteit Leuven

               EMAIL : elsen@esat.kuleuven.ac.be

                       ...!kulcs!kulesat!elsen (UUCP)
                       elsen%kulesat.uucp@blekul60 (BITNET)
                       psi%02062166012::elsen  (PSI MAIL)

moore@betelgeuse.cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore) (09/29/89)

In article <1596@esat.kuleuven.ac.be> ELSEN@esat.kuleuven.ac.be (Marc Elsen) writes:
>  The Ultrix 3.1 default sendmail configuration file contains the
>following entry for the DECnet mailer :
>
>MDmail,	P=/usr/bin/mail11v3, F=mnSXxH, S=17, R=18, A=mail11 $f $x $h
>
> Does anyone know the meaning of the H flag in F=mnSXxH ?
> It doesn't seem documented on page 2-54 Appendix C , Mailer Flags
> (Sendmail Installation and Operation Guide) in Ultrix-32,supplementary
> documents , Volume 3 System Manager.

I believe it indicates to Ultrix sendmail that it should speak a special
extended SMTP to the mail11v3 program.  The extended SMTP includes a mechanism
to allow mail11v3 to look at the headers of the RFC822 message before
verifying that any recipients are valid.   This makes for a easier interface
to the MAIL-11 protocol, where it's helpful to know what the message headers
look like *before* you open the DECnet connection, and therefore before you
ask the remote MAIL-11 object whether any recipient(s) are valid.

Mail11v3 won't work unless you speak extended SMTP to it.  This means
you can't use mail11v3 with e.g., Berkeley sendmail.  Incidentally, the
extended SMTP protocol (as far as I can tell) is also undocumented.
--
Keith Moore			Internet: moore@cs.utk.edu
University of Tenn. CS Dept.	BITNET: moore@utkvx

michaud@devax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) (09/29/89)

> I believe it indicates to Ultrix sendmail that it should speak a special
> extended SMTP to the mail11v3 program.  The extended SMTP includes a
mechanism
> to allow mail11v3 to look at the headers of the RFC822 message before
> verifying that any recipients are valid.   This makes for a easier interface
> to the MAIL-11 protocol, where it's helpful to know what the message headers
> look like *before* you open the DECnet connection, and therefore before you
> ask the remote MAIL-11 object whether any recipient(s) are valid.

	Correct.  The MAIL-11 protocol uses what's known as optional data
	associated with a connection request to the remote system.  The
	optional data contains a couple of key pieces of information that
	need to be known at connection establishment time.  mail11v3 needs
	to know if there is a Cc: line, and it also needs to know if the
	message being sent is a DDIF/CDA/capsar (or whatever you want to call
	it :-) message.

> Mail11v3 won't work unless you speak extended SMTP to it.  This means
> you can't use mail11v3 with e.g., Berkeley sendmail.  Incidentally, the
> extended SMTP protocol (as far as I can tell) is also undocumented.

	Correct again.  I made sure to state that in the release notes.
	We also don't document the two extra SMTP commands (HEAD and MULT)
	because I didn't want to commit ourselves to those commands at this point
	in time.  The two extra commands only get invoked if the appropriate
	mailer flags are defined for the mailer.

|Jeff Michaud    michaud@decwrl.dec.com  michaud@decvax.dec.com|
|DECnet-ULTRIX   #include <standard/disclaimer.h>              |