[comp.mail.sendmail] DECNET mail chokes on To: and Cc: lines longer than 255 characters.

sam@ccsn2.uucp (Sam Moore) (10/18/89)

Has anyone dealt with the problem with DECNET mailers not accepting
messages with To: and Cc: lines greater than 255 characters. The
release notes for DECNET Ultrix say to use a sendmail alias to deal
with the problem. They must be assuming the mailing list that generates
the long line is local. This is not the case for me. I have mailing
lists coming from other sites to my brain dead DECNET machines.

Sam

moore@betelgeuse.cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore) (10/18/89)

In article <4217@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> sam@ccsn2.ncsu.edu (Sam Moore) writes:

>Has anyone dealt with the problem with DECNET mailers not accepting
>messages with To: and Cc: lines greater than 255 characters. The
>release notes for DECNET Ultrix say to use a sendmail alias to deal
>with the problem. They must be assuming the mailing list that generates
>the long line is local. This is not the case for me. I have mailing
>lists coming from other sites to my brain dead DECNET machines.
>
>Sam

Yeah.  I wrote my own DECnet mail gateway.  My version truncates
all DECnet header lines to 512 characters, which seemed to be sufficient.
It's easily changed to 255 if necessary.  Since these fields are essentially
comment fields to the DEC mailers, there's no harm in truncating them.

The code is free.  Anonymous ftp to cs.utk.edu, directory readonly/mail11,
files mail11.shar and mail11d.shar .
--
Keith Moore			Internet: moore@cs.utk.edu
University of Tenn. CS Dept.	BITNET: moore@utkvx

peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce) (10/19/89)

In article <4217@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> sam@ccsn2.ncsu.edu (Sam Moore) writes:

>Has anyone dealt with the problem with DECNET mailers not accepting
>messages with To: and Cc: lines greater than 255 characters?

This is a known problem with the DECnet mailer on the VMS side.  I'm going
to submit an SPR as soon as I get time.

I posted something about this to comp.unix.ultrix (which is where follow-ups
are directed).
-----
Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce@gw.wmich.edu
Academic Computer Center        UUCP:      ...!uunet!sharkey!wmichgw!peirce
Kalamazoo, MI  49008            Phone:     (616) 387-5469

This is STILL the Al Franken Decade.....