[comp.mail.sendmail] Ultrix 3.1,getting rid of >"< can it be done ?

elsen@esat.kuleuven.ac.be (10/05/89)

 - We are using our Ultrix 3.1 MicrovaxII as a major Gateway between a
local campus DECnet network (consisting mainly of VMS hosts) and the
outside world with respect to e-mail (and Usenet news).

  User's on the VMS side can send e-mail using a syntax like
  ULTRIX-GATEWAY::"e-mail-address"   in VMS Mail.

  Now to the outside world however we would like to hide the fact
  that this Ultrix Gateway was used in order to send this mail i.e:
  we would like this To address to appear to it's recipient just like :

           e-mail-address        # without any quotes in it !

 Now it's rather easy using sendmail to rewrite an adress like
 ULTRIX-GATEWAY::"e-mail-address" into  "e-mail-address"
 (using something like R$-::$+       $2                # for instance).

 But as stated above this result in a To line looking
 like ---> To: "e-mail-address".

 I'd be very interesting to know (having spend lot's of hours into this one)
 whether there's any way at all to get rid of the quotes as well!
--
  Marc Elsen (System Manager/Software Engineer)
  Katholieke Universiteit Leuven

               EMAIL : elsen@esat.kuleuven.ac.be

                       ...!kulcs!kulesat!elsen (UUCP)
                       elsen%kulesat.uucp@blekul60 (BITNET)
                       psi%02062166012::elsen  (PSI MAIL)

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (10/11/89)

In article <1634.252b15c7@esat.kuleuven.ac.be> elsen@esat.kuleuven.ac.be writes:
| Now it's rather easy using sendmail to rewrite an adress like
| ULTRIX-GATEWAY::"e-mail-address" into  "e-mail-address"
| (using something like R$-::$+       $2                # for instance).
|
| But as stated above this result in a To line looking
| like ---> To: "e-mail-address".
|
| I'd be very interesting to know (having spend lot's of hours into this one)
| whether there's any way at all to get rid of the quotes as well!

I suppose you've already tried R$-::"$+"	$2
If sendmail doesn't parse the quotes as being seperate tokens, you may be
completely out of luck.

I just tried sendmail -bt, it saved a quoted string as one complete token.
I think you're out of luck.  At least, it'll take someone smarter that I
to help you. :-)

  Bill
--
   Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner       | aaaaaaaaa
  Internet: wcf@hcx.psu.edu                        |            r

moore@betelgeuse.cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore) (10/14/89)

In article <1634.252b15c7@esat.kuleuven.ac.be> elsen@esat.kuleuven.ac.be writes:

> - We are using our Ultrix 3.1 MicrovaxII as a major Gateway between a
>local campus DECnet network (consisting mainly of VMS hosts) and the
>outside world with respect to e-mail (and Usenet news).
>
>  User's on the VMS side can send e-mail using a syntax like
>  ULTRIX-GATEWAY::"e-mail-address"   in VMS Mail.
>
>  Now to the outside world however we would like to hide the fact
>  that this Ultrix Gateway was used in order to send this mail i.e:
>  we would like this To address to appear to it's recipient just like :
>
>           e-mail-address        # without any quotes in it !
[...]
> I'd be very interesting to know (having spend lot's of hours into this one)
> whether there's any way at all to get rid of the quotes as well!
>--
>  Marc Elsen (System Manager/Software Engineer)
>  Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
[...]
>               EMAIL : elsen@esat.kuleuven.ac.be

I attacked this problem once and never found a way to do this with sendmail,
precisely because sendmail's tokenizer treats (correctly, I think)
quoted strings a single tokens.  It would be nice if sendmail had
a way to match a quoted string on the left hand side of a rewrite rule
and ways to unquote a quoted string and to intelligently quote a series
of tokens on the right hand side.

There are lots of problems with converting the VMS MAIL To: header to an
RFC822 To: header -- many VMS MAIL addresses are syntactally incorrect
in the RFC822 world, and there's no guarantee that even the simple
single-token addresses in the To: line are actually valid names for mail
recipients -- they could be VMS logical names used as mail aliases.
(Just imagine what an RFC822 mail program does when trying to reply to all
recipients of a message that has a header like: To: @device:filename.ext)

So I wrote my own VMS MAIL gateway program to replace DEC's mail11dv3.
It uses MAIL-11 envelope addresses (not header addresses) to generate
an RFC822-compliant To: header, removing unnecessary quoting characters
in the process.  For mail sent from the VMS system through the gateway
the effect is exactly as you describe, e.g., mail to
UTKCS::"moore@betelgeuse.cs.utk.edu" will show up on betelgeuse.cs.utk.edu
as being addressed to simply moore@betelgeuse.cs.utk.edu .
It also converts return addresses into domain names if you wish --
so mail from DECnet address UTKVX::USER appears as from user@utkvx.utk.edu .

Anyway, if you want it, it is available for anonymous ftp from
cs.utk.edu (128.169.201.1), directory readonly/mail11, files
mail11d.shar (this is the incoming mail-11 gateway), and
mail11.shar (this is the outgoing mail-11 gateway).  Let me know
if you don't have ftp access and I'll mail them to you.

Keith Moore			Internet: moore@cs.utk.edu
University of Tenn. CS Dept.	BITNET: moore@utkvx
107 Ayres Hall, UT Campus	UT Decnet: utkcs::moore
Knoxville Tennessee 37996-1301	Telephone: +1 615 974 0822

peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce) (10/19/89)

In article <1689@psuhcx.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) writes:
>In article <1634.252b15c7@esat.kuleuven.ac.be> elsen@esat.kuleuven.ac.be writes:
. [...]
>| I'd be very interesting to know (having spend lot's of hours into this one)
>| whether there's any way at all to get rid of the quotes as well!
>
>I suppose you've already tried R$-::"$+"	$2
>If sendmail doesn't parse the quotes as being seperate tokens, you may be
>completely out of luck.
>
>I just tried sendmail -bt, it saved a quoted string as one complete token.
>I think you're out of luck.  At least, it'll take someone smarter that I
>to help you. :-)

This was supposed to be fixed in ULTRIX 3.1....

I tried getting sendmail to parse the double quotes, too.  I don't think it
can be done in the .cf file.  If you had the source you could probably hack
it up but that isn't the solution.

I finally decided that the problem is mail11dv3.  It isn't stripping the
double quotes off when it gets mail from a VMS system.  Sendmail treats the
double-quoted stuff as one token and it barfs.

A kind person from DEC sent me a patched copy of mail11dv3 and it works fine.
E-mail me if you want a copy.  I'm not sure if the 3.0 version will work with
3.1 but it might be a good idea to keep the working 3.0 version around just
in case.

Side note:  If you don't want to use double quotes on the VMS side, you can
use

   To: ULTRIX::user%host.domain

Apparently, the double quotes are needed because the VMS mailer doesn't like
@ characters.
-----
Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce@gw.wmich.edu
Academic Computer Center        UUCP:      ...!uunet!sharkey!wmichgw!peirce
Kalamazoo, MI  49008            Phone:     (616) 387-5469

This is STILL the Al Franken Decade.....