[comp.mail.sendmail] site-wide aliases

news@bellcore.bellcore.com (news) (10/27/89)

What do people use to do site-wide aliasing?  I'd love to support:

	nrh@bellcore.com	(works)
	nat_howard@bellcore.com
	nat@bellcore.com	(if unambiguous)
	MRE2L383@bellcore.com	(my room number)

and so on...  Are there standard (hopefully free) packages (including,
perhaps, hacks to sendmail)?  Combinatorics forbids storing all this
stuff in aliases.

I'm aware of one used for a large computer group here, but I'm after
the "legendary, best of its kind" program to do this (if it exists and
is available).

If there's interest, I'll summarize the results.  Thanks.

cfe+@andrew.cmu.edu (Craig F. Everhart) (10/28/89)

Use the Andrew White Pages, which will be available as part of the
``andrew'' contribution to the X.V11R4 tape, to be released in ``late
December.''

To find out more, talk to Nathaniel Borenstein, who also is at Bellcore
in Morristown.

		Craig Everhart
		Andrew message system

news@bellcore.bellcore.com (news) (11/11/89)

I asked some time ago for folks to send me information on how they made
"user@site.com" mail go where it was supposed to go, for wide values of
"user" and large values of "site".  The reason I asked the question was
that I wish to support some such thing here at bellcore, so that:

	nrh@bellcore.com
	nat-howard@bellcore.com
	nat-r-howard@bellcore.com
	n-r-howard@bellcore.com

... and so on all work, even if "nrh" doesn't really have an account on
the machine called "bellcore.com".

Generating all such possibilities and sticking
them in our aliases database is, I suppose, a possibility, but this
sounds expensive to me.

A little thought convinced me that others must be up against this same
problem, so I asked the net about it.

I got one note from a person at an Unnamed Institution who had done
something like this, and was willing to send me his stuff strictly on a
"here, maybe this would help you build your own" basis.  I gather he
does not wish to be named, and he does not want his software further
distributed.  Please don't ask me about this -- perhaps he would
answer queries on the net, but that's up to him.

I got a note saying that "mail addresses at sun.com are aliased, but I
don't know what package/hacks they use for it..."

I got several notes reminding me that I had said I'd summarize.

Finally, I got several messages suggesting I look into the Andrew
White Pages system which (I'm told) will be on the X11R4 tape.  I plan
to do this.

crr@turing.newcastle.ac.uk (Chris Ritson) (11/13/89)

In article <18184@bellcore.bellcore.com> nrh@buzz.bellcore.com writes:
>I asked some time ago for folks to send me information on how they made
>"user@site.com" mail go where it was supposed to go, for wide values of
>"user" and large values of "site".

Seeing  as  the  original  poster  did not seem to get many replies, I
attach a description of what we do here at newcastle.ac.uk.  Sorry  it
is  so  long.   This uses a standard PD version of sendmail, and a few
small supporting programs.  Even the sendmail.cf file was  "compiled",
though it has since been tweeked by hand.

Chris Ritson (postmaster@newcastle.ac.uk)
--
ARPA : C.R.Ritson@newcastle.ac.uk             JANET: C.R.Ritson@uk.ac.newcastle
UUCP : ...!ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!C.R.Ritson     PHONE: +44 91 222 8175

Here is the article we produced for UK consuption....

       Centralised Electronic Mail -- The Newcastle Experience

This article is an edited version of a message which was originally
sent to the distribution list "mailgroup@uk.ac.ucl.cs".  No claims of
originality are made for the software described or the facilities
presented; indeed much of what we have done was suggested by earlier
work at the University of Edinburgh.  The article is intended simply
to illustrate what is possible today for the electronic mail
facilities of a typical higher education establishment.

The Newcastle University Mail Hub
---------------------------------

We have a Sun 4 (uk.ac.newcastle) which acts as mail hub.  It has X.25
connections to our CPSE for Grey Book mail to JANET, and to exchange
mail with our current main computing service host (uk.ac.ncl.mts).  It
has Ethernet connections to all of our UNIX hosts, and since
Newcastle's Ethernet is linked to that at the University of Durham, it
can potentially reach all UNIX hosts on both campusses.  SMTP is used
between the UNIX hosts and the hub; Grey Book for all external
connections, uk.ac.ncl.mts, and a couple of other hosts.

The software on the Sun 4 is a modified version of "sendmail".
Various parts of what we use are either standard Berkeley UNIX
components or extras that were obtained from, or via, Brunel,
Nottingham and Cambridge.  The credit for putting it all together goes
to Andy Linton.  He has since left us to take up a post at the
Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, so our current
Postmaster and hub manager is now Chris Ritson.

The UNIX hosts represent quite a range of hardware.  Most are Sun 3's,
but there's a MicroVax, 2 Encores, and a Gould.  The common link is
that all run sendmail.  A network of Xerox workstations is also linked
to the mail hub via a gateway machine.

Mail facilities at Newcastle are a cooperative venture between both
the Computing Science department and the Computing Service.  Chris
Ritson is attached to the former whilst I am part of the Newcastle
team of the NUMAC Computing Service.

Mail hub functionality
----------------------

The mail hub performs two main functions in addition to normal mail
relaying:

(a)  For inbound messages of the form <personal-name>@uk.ac.newcastle,
     it resolves that into a <username>@<host> delivery address.  This
     is usually local so that, for example:

          J.A.Hunter@uk.ac.newcastle    ->   cl40@uk.ac.ncl.mts
          C.R.Ritson@uk.ac.newcastle    ->   crr@uk.ac.ncl.turing

     You won't find the second machine, or any of our many Sun local
     mail servers, registered in the NRS.  One of the many advantages
     of running a central mail service is that we can keep our host
     registrations within reason.  We hope this makes it obvious to
     remote users that Postmaster@uk.ac.newcastle is the place to send
     e-mail queries.

(b)  For outbound messages with <username>@<host> addresses, the hub
     resigns the message with a central site (uk.ac.newcastle)
     address.  This is a many-to-one mapping, so that for Chris
     Ritson's entry:

          crr@uk.ac.ncl.turing
          crr@uk.ac.ncl.colman
          cra3@uk.ac.ncl.mts

     (and several others) get resigned as C.R.Ritson@uk.ac.newcastle .
     Chris can send mail out from any of these hosts.  The resignature
     means that, through process (a), replies will come back to him at
     his preferred host.

The User's View
---------------

The mailers which sign plain <username>@<host> are just the standard
UNIX "elm" and "mail" utilities.  We do have one mailer, "emu", which
performs the resigning itself; it has access to a secure copy of the
hub tables to do this.

The source data for the mail hub delivery and resignature tables is
maintained with a file editor as a series of files at present, but we
plan to augment this up with a full-screen forms-filling utility for
more convenient use by our computer operators or reception staff.  The
individual files are checked and used to generate the hub's online
directories each night.

The great advantage we obtain from this set-up is that all of our
users get simple addresses based on their personal name and a single
host name, uk.ac.newcastle, rather than cryptic and unmemorable
addresses of the "XYZ123@uk.ac.ncl.something" ilk.  Re-signing of
outgoing mail is a crucial part of this.  Many systems provide a
personal name address for incoming mail but sign user-unfriendly
<username>@<host> addresses on outgoing messages.

It should be noted here that the University of Edinburgh have been
performing hub resigning for some years, through the work of Sandy
Shaw.  A similar facility is available at the University of Reading,
due to Adrian Pell (now at HP Labs, Bristol).

Registration of Users' Personal Names
-------------------------------------

At present we have personal names registered for about 3000 users, a
mixture of staff and students.

Newcastle is a medium sized university and hence has over 9000
registered students at any one time.  We are fortunate in having
access to machine-readable student records providing a mapping between
personal name and student number.  A simple algorithmic mapping
provides the username of each student from their student number,
allowing us to predict the <username>@<host> details for the computer
account that they will be given.  As a consequence we intend to
register electronic mail names en masse for all of our students as
from October/November 1989.

Exposure to information technology is encouraged by most departments,
and in the Computing Laboratory use of electronic mail facilities is
considered to be part of an undergraduate's education.

For University staff, names are registered on an individual basis.
The staff member simply sends a message to Postmaster.  He or she is
encouraged to do this, because the mail hub will not allow mail
off-campus for users who do not have a personal name registered.

Name Recognition
----------------

For inbound messages, apart from the mandatory case-independent
recognition, name matches must be exact to deliver.  We have a
community of several thousand users, and it wouldn't be a good idea to
have, say, a professor's mail fall into the hands of an undergraduate
through a misplaced fuzzy match.

Failure to match does invoke fuzzy match software, however.  This is
used to send a message back suggesting a list of addresses which might
contain the intended recipient.  A message to:

        hunter @ uk.ac.newcastle

would return an error report giving my e-mail address together with
those of the other five of that clan.  Again, Edinburgh and others
have been doing this since before we were; we claim no originality.

Staff on Sabbatical Leave
-------------------------

We have the capability to set up a personal name to deliver to any
<username>@<host> address in the e-mail world.  It is therefore a
simple matter to arrange that mail is routed to the relevant local
host when a staff member takes sabbatical or similar long-term leave.

Applicability
-------------

Note that while most of our hosts are bsd UNIX based, they aren't all.
In fact the system could work just as easy with VAX/VMS or VM/CMS if
the relevant machines' NRS tables are set up to route all messages to
the mail hub, and the mail hub has available the relevant resignature
information.

Distribution Lists
------------------

We handle distribution lists through normal sendmail facilities on the
hub.  The source for each list is held in user-owned files in a
special directory on another public UNIX host, and the changed
versions are copied to the hub once an hour.  We don't let anyone log
into the hub itself other than to maintain the mail system.

Expansion of the list proceeds via a series of filters which add a
"Sender:" field of <listname>-request, and, if not already present, a
"Reply-to:" field.

o    The addition of the "Sender:" provides a facility originally
     associated with DARPA Internet lists, and is intended to route
     list expansion error reports to the list owner, who can fix the
     problem, rather than the message originator, who usually can't.

o    The "Reply-to:" addition copies the "From:" field, and is
     intended to prevent group-reply mailers from replying to the list
     without manual intervention on the part of the mail user.

Telex -- For the Destinations Other Mailers Cannot Reach

One recent addition which might be of interest is that we now provide
a Telex service for direct access by users.  The software/hardware is
a commercially-available package running on a Microvax, though users
don't need to know that.  They just send to addresses like:

        british.ambassador@telex.938+20651-uk_rep

This is a fake address for a non-existant person on a coral atoll in
the Indian Ocean.  However, I think the ATTN: field, international and
internal codes (938+ and 20651) and answerback field (UK REP) should
be fairly obvious.  Telex, being a very old facility, can reach many
more parts of the world than academic and commercial e-mail.  The
outstanding connectivity outweighs the disadvantage of the restricted
upper-case only character set.

Since it is a chargeable resource, Telex has an authorisation package
associated with it.  Only users specifically registered for Telex may
send such messages, and these are never undergraduates, though we do
allow students access to all other facilities.

Further Information
-------------------

For general information contact:            J.A.Hunter@newcastle.ac.uk
For details of mail hub software contact:   C.R.Ritson@newcastle.ac.uk

                             Alan Hunter
                         Computing Laboratory
                The University of Newcastle upon Tyne
                     Newcastle  NE1 7RU,  England

(Alan Hunter is my co-postmaster here, and the original author of this
note.  He does not read news).

Chris Ritson
--

haral@ashtate (Haral Tsitsivas) (11/15/89)

In article <18064@bellcore.bellcore.com> nrh@buzz.bellcore.com (Nathaniel Howard) writes:
>What do people use to do site-wide aliasing?  I'd love to support:
>
>	nrh@bellcore.com	(works)
>	nat_howard@bellcore.com
>	nat@bellcore.com	(if unambiguous)

Why not use the "mkfnames(8)" script that comes with smail?

You can use this either with smail (in which case incoming mail will be
aliased with the fullname database), or you can generate an alias list (with
minor formatting changes) for inclusion in your /usr/lib/aliases file.

--Haral Tsitsivas
  (213) 538-7692
  ...!uunet!ashtate!haral