[net.games.trivia] Remember when

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/11/85)

Does anyone out there remember pre-McDonaldland Mc Donald's? I vaguely remember
that Ronald was introduced before the rest of the gang. As I recall, he
used to travel from McDonald's to McDonald's on a somewhat un reliable
conveyance called a Flying Hamburger.

Can anyone confirm this for me? I am trying to convince my 18-year old
girlfriend that it really existed.

Also, does anyone remember McDonald's first attempt at selling ice cream?
As I recall, it was some sort of tri-flavored cone. Does anyone remember
the name? (I still have the McDonaldland poster they gave you if you bought
one.)

One last thing, does anyone remember the old-style McD resturants?

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

steven@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/13/85)

[]
The ice cream was called Triple Ripple (a trademark of McDonalds Inc).
It was a vanilla, chocolate and strawberry already packed in a cone.
It was bad.  They tried some other things that were a lot better, but
fared no better.  Several were regional test products.  Does anybody
remember (or like) McChicken Sanwhiches?  Or McFeasts?  They also had
a steak sandwhich for a while.  It might just have been called Steak
Sandwhich.  Anyone remember any other products?

					Steve Berson
					UCLA Computer Science Dept.
					steven@ucla-cs.arpa
					{ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!steven

man@bocar.UUCP (M Nevar) (05/13/85)

<  One last thing, does anyone remember the old-style McD resturants?

There is still one in existence in Elizabeth, NJ.
Red and white stripes with large golden arches
on the sides.

							Mark

michaelf@ISM780.UUCP (05/13/85)

	 One thing I do remember about the original Ronald McDonald
      is that he was gay, said so, and was replaced. Too much for Ray
      Kroc to handle. They were worried because so many kids
      looked up to Ronald.

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/13/85)

> Does anyone out there remember pre-McDonaldland Mc Donald's? I vaguely remember
> that Ronald was introduced before the rest of the gang. As I recall, he
> used to travel from McDonald's to McDonald's on a somewhat un reliable
> conveyance called a Flying Hamburger.

Ronald McDonald, the Hamburger Happy Clown!

> One last thing, does anyone remember the old-style McD resturants?

Yes, I do.  Up until a few years a go we had a rather silly looking
thing that was the old building with a new style roof.  The tops of
the arches still stuck out the top.  When I lived in Denver about
three years ago, I found four of the original style (White and red tile
with the arches "supporting" the sloping roof).  One was torn down and
another one had a new one built down the street, but they had the old
one open during the summer.  One has this little guy on the sign that
says "speedy service."

For you Denver Burgo-nostalgics the remaining ones are located (my
memory is hazy).
	Wadsworth and 6th Avenue
	Federal and the Boulder Turnpike (I think)
	In Arvada near I-70, I can't remember the street name,
		begins with R I think.
The one that was torn down was on Broadway on the south side of
the city and I have the feeling that there used to be one near
Cinderella City as well.

-Ron

jkw@lanl.ARPA (05/14/85)

> > One last thing, does anyone remember the old-style McD resturants?

Yep.  Albuquerque used to have a lot of them -- white and red tiled walls
and oh, them golden arches.  My family of 5 would get 12 hamburgers for $2.
This would hold us for lunch with some left over for our two-hour drive
home in the evening.  I remember several debates over the possibility that
the "Over ## Billion Sold" sign could conceivably hold any truth.

They're all gone now -- replaced by brown slump block beauties.

       ~ Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare ~
       ~ The lone and level sands stretch far away................. ~

brahms@spp3.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) (05/14/85)

> []
> The ice cream was called Triple Ripple (a trademark of McDonalds Inc).
> It was a vanilla, chocolate and strawberry already packed in a cone.
> It was bad.  They tried some other things that were a lot better, but
> fared no better.  Several were regional test products.  Does anybody
> remember (or like) McChicken Sanwhiches?  Or McFeasts?  They also had
> a steak sandwhich for a while.  It might just have been called Steak
> Sandwhich.  Anyone remember any other products?

How about McRibs.  At the time, they were about the only thing worth while
eating at McD.

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@usc-eclc

hsu@cvl.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (05/15/85)

> []
> The ice cream was called Triple Ripple (a trademark of McDonalds Inc).
> It was a vanilla, chocolate and strawberry already packed in a cone.
> It was bad.  They tried some other things that were a lot better, but
> fared no better.  Several were regional test products.  Does anybody
> remember (or like) McChicken Sanwhiches?  Or McFeasts?  They also had
> a steak sandwhich for a while.  It might just have been called Steak
> Sandwhich.  Anyone remember any other products?
>
> 					Steve Berson

I may be one of the few people (still?) alive today that actually LIKED
the McChicken Sandwich.  Except for the excess of lettuce.  But I don't
quite remember where they tested the much-publicized McRib.

-dave

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (05/15/85)

> <  One last thing, does anyone remember the old-style McD resturants?
>
> There is still one in existence in Elizabeth, NJ.
> Red and white stripes with large golden arches
> on the sides.
>
> 							Mark

There are probably several more at various places in the U.S.  There is
an old McDonald's (red and white stripes et al) in my corner of the world
at S.E. 92nd & Division (or thereabouts) in Portland, OR.

                               -- Walt

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (05/16/85)

--
> > One last thing, does anyone remember the old-style McD resturants?
> > 							Mark

The original, first, number 1 McDeaths is in scenic DesPlaines,
Illinois, a west suburb of Chicago.  It's still there, and is
being turned into a McMuseum.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

jbtubman@water.UUCP (Jim Tubman [LPAIG]) (05/17/85)

In article <437@cvl.UUCP> hsu@cvl.UUCP (Dave Hsu) writes:
>I may be one of the few people (still?) alive today that actually LIKED
>the McChicken Sandwich.  Except for the excess of lettuce.  But I don't
>quite remember where they tested the much-publicized McRib.
>
>-dave

One of the places where they tested McRib in western Canada (in Saskatoon,
Saskatchewan, at any rate).  It was really awful, and didn't last long.

						Jim Tubman
						University of Waterloo

mag@gitpyr.UUCP (Mark A. Gravitt) (05/20/85)

In article <437@cvl.UUCP> hsu@cvl.UUCP (Dave Hsu) writes:

>I may be one of the few people (still?) alive today that actually LIKED
>the McChicken Sandwich.  Except for the excess of lettuce.  But I don't
>quite remember where they tested the much-publicized McRib.
>
>-dave

I do recall the at least one of the regions in which they tested the
McRib sandwich. The sandwich was actually rather good and I've often
wondered why it was discontinued... (it was one of the very few
fast-food sandwiches in which you could SEE the onions!)

Anyway, the McRib seemed to sell well on the south side of Atlanta.

--
Mark A. Gravitt                                    | "You, therefore, love one
User Assistant                                     | another and in patient

..!{akgua, allegra, amd, hplabs, ihnp4, masscomp, ut-ngp}gatech!gitpyr!mag
..!{rlgvax, sb1, uf-cgrl, unmvax, ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!mag

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (05/20/85)

> > fared no better.  Several were regional test products.  Does anybody
> > remember (or like) McChicken Sanwhiches?  Or McFeasts?  They also had
> > a steak sandwhich for a while.  It might just have been called Steak
> > Sandwhich.  Anyone remember any other products?
> >
> > 					Steve Berson
>
> I may be one of the few people (still?) alive today that actually LIKED
> the McChicken Sandwich.  Except for the excess of lettuce.  But I don't
> quite remember where they tested the much-publicized McRib.

McDonald's on the west coast carry the McChicken sandwiches but no McRibs.
McDonald's on the east coast carry McRibs, but no McChicken's.  I don't know
why the disparity, but I noticed it when I travelled east in '83.  Otherwise,
the menu selection remains the same.

I don't know where the dividing line is, though.

                                   -- Walt

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/22/85)

> McDonald's on the west coast carry the McChicken sandwiches but no McRibs.
> McDonald's on the east coast carry McRibs, but no McChicken's.  I don't know
> why the disparity, but I noticed it when I travelled east in '83.  Otherwise,
> the menu selection remains the same.

Not true.  McDonalds in Denver and Maryland didn't get McRibs but Missouri
and Indianapolis did.  In addition, I believe what was being tested at the
same time as McRibs was Chicken McNuggets not McChickens.  We got McChickens
around 1979 or so.  Test markets of McRibs and McNuggets was in 81/82.

-Ron