[comp.mail.sendmail] "remote from somewhere" -- I'm confused

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (12/01/89)

We are running a pretty much stock 4.3BSD.

When I send mail via SMTP, the From line looks like:

	From dce@icky.Sony.COM  Thu Nov 30 13:56:58 1989

Also, we receive mail that looks like this from some sites,
though other sites (like UUNET) sends us mail with From
lines like:

	From hpda.hp.com!tnguyen  Thu Nov 30 16:51:37 1989 remote from uunet

For the first case, rmail generates something like

	From somewhere!dce@icky.Sony.COM ...

which is no good.  Our old sendmail config file actually strips the
"somewhere!" off.  Is this normal, or just a hack?

The second case above gets turned into

	From uunet!hpda.hp.com!tnguyen ...

It would be nice if it was instead turned into

	From tnguyen@hpda.hp.com

Can anyone point me in the right direction (besides smail, which I'd
prefer to stay away from right now).

--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

ecf_hap@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andrew Poling) (12/02/89)

In article <1989Nov30.221830.3934@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.Sony.COM (David Elliott) writes:
[...]
>When I send mail via SMTP, the From line looks like:
>
>	From dce@icky.Sony.COM  Thu Nov 30 13:56:58 1989
[...]
>though other sites (like UUNET) sends us mail with From
>lines like:
>
>	From hpda.hp.com!tnguyen  Thu Nov 30 16:51:37 1989 remote from uunet
>
>For the first case, rmail generates something like
>
>	From somewhere!dce@icky.Sony.COM ...
>
>which is no good.  Our old sendmail config file actually strips the
>"somewhere!" off.  Is this normal, or just a hack?

Rmail should only be used as the mailer invoked by your UUCP neighbors.  All
that rmail really does is search the headers for a From line and try to turn
the "From a!b remote from c" into "From c!a!b" by invoking sendmail with a
"-f c!a!b" argument.

>The second case above gets turned into
>
>	From uunet!hpda.hp.com!tnguyen ...
>
>It would be nice if it was instead turned into
>
>	From tnguyen@hpda.hp.com

It sounds like you simply don't want rmail's help.  If that's the case, you
could make rmail a link to sendmail.  Then it would just use the From: field
in the header.  From that point, it is up to your sendmail config whether it
ends up as host!user or user@host, but you won't have to deal with the
"somewhere!" or "uunet!".

Alternatively, you could add rules to your sendmail config to turn
"uucp-neighbor!domain-host!user" into "user@domain-host".

Is that what you were asking?

-Andy

Andy Poling                              Internet: andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
Network Services Group                   Bitnet: ANDY@JHUVMS
Homewood Academic Computing              Voice: (301)338-8096
Johns Hopkins University                 UUCP: mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!gollum!andy