[comp.mail.sendmail] Installation of smail/sendmail

pda@stiatl.UUCP (Paul D. Anderson) (12/09/89)

I have a stock Sys V machine, with sockets extensions (Convergent S640,
OS rev 5.2.25).  I installed smail and deliver with no problems and we
have been using it successfully for a year.  We are ethernetted internally
and are using rlogin, ftp regularly.  But we have not had the smtp mail
transport.  I recently ported the Berkeley sendmail to this machine and
have sucessfully sent/received mail to/from Suns, Vaxen (running
Wollongong), and Interactive Unix boxes.

Here's the question:  What is the configuration I should set up using
svbinmail(/bin/mail), /bin/lmail, /usr/bin/deliver, /bin/{smail,rmail},
and /usr/lib/sendmail ?

1) svbinmail (/bin/mail) calls rmail who calls sendmail who calls deliver.

2) svbinmail calls sendmail who calls smail (for offsite address) and who
	calls deliver (for local addresses).  rmail is a link to sendmail.

3) any number of other configurations...

I can eventually arrive at a solution, but i KNOW that someone has a
recommendation for doing this correctly.  And I don't want to create a
nightmare for my sysadmin (who is already losing his hair!).

Help?

Thanks,
paul
--
Paul Anderson                                            (w) (404) 841-4000
gatech!stiatl!pda                                        (h) (404) 662-0799

mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) (12/14/89)

In article <8099@stiatl.UUCP> pda@stiatl.UUCP (Paul D. Anderson) writes:
>Here's the question:  What is the configuration I should set up using
>svbinmail(/bin/mail), /bin/lmail, /usr/bin/deliver, /bin/{smail,rmail},
>and /usr/lib/sendmail ?

We direct all mail to sendmail, which decides whether the destination is on
the local network or has a fully qualified domain name, in which case it
hands it off to SMTP.  Otherwise, it assumes that the address is uucp and
hands it off to smail, which uses the pathalias database for routing.
This works quite well.
--
Mark Benard
Department of Computer Science     INTERNET & BITNET: mb@cs.tulane.edu