[comp.mail.sendmail] Ease 2.?

reeder@ut-emx.UUCP (William P. Reeder) (12/13/89)

I remember a long time ago seeing a message from someone who was working
on a version of Ease (newer than 2.0) which would handle all of Sun's
mods, plus improving cfc.  It was never posted to comp.sources.unix,
did it ever get finished?  Is Arnold Robbins or Jeff Stearns still
supporting it?

-- William Reeder
   reeder@emx.utexas.edu
--
William "Wills" Reeder, The University of Texas at Austin, Computation Center
reeder@emx.utexas.edu, uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!reeder, (512)471-3241

DISCLAIMER:     Opinions expressed above are those of the author and do
not necessarily reflect the opinions of The University of Texas at Austin,
or those of the manufacturer of the wires which carried this message.

jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns) (12/22/89)

In article <22288@ut-emx.UUCP> reeder@ut-emx.UUCP (William P. Reeder) writes:
> I remember a long time ago seeing a message from someone who was working
> on a version of Ease (newer than 2.0) which would handle all of Sun's
> mods, plus improving cfc.  It was never posted to comp.sources.unix,
> did it ever get finished?  Is Arnold Robbins or Jeff Stearns still
> supporting it?

I stuck some of Sun's sendmail improvements into my copy of version 2.0 but
I'd rather not release it in its present form, since I haven't put in all the
new features.

If nobody else is working on it, I wouldn't mind finishing it, but I'd
like to hear from Arnold Robbins first.  Maybe it's already been done.

I'm not "supporting" ease but I could probably be talked into it.
--
    Jeff Stearns        John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.               (206) 356-5064
    jeff@tc.fluke.COM   {uw-beaver,microsoft,sun}!fluke!jeff

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (12/27/89)

In article <13454@fluke.COM>, jeff@tc (Jeff Stearns) writes:
>In article <22288@ut-emx.UUCP> reeder@ut-emx.UUCP (William P. Reeder) writes:
>> I remember a long time ago seeing a message from someone who was working
>> on a version of Ease (newer than 2.0) which would handle all of Sun's
>> mods, plus improving cfc.  It was never posted to comp.sources.unix,

I think that was me.

>I stuck some of Sun's sendmail improvements into my copy of version 2.0 but
>I'd rather not release it in its present form, since I haven't put in all the
>new features.
>
>If nobody else is working on it, I wouldn't mind finishing it, but I'd
>like to hear from Arnold Robbins first.  Maybe it's already been done.

I sent my changes to Arnold Robbins. He wanted to be the maintainer of Ease, and I didn't, so I packed up my changes and sent them to him.
I guess I still have them somewhere.

The changes weren't perfect, but I think they made a considerable
improvement over the Ease package.

I use ease to maintain 5 different sendmail files for 5 different
vendor-supplied sendmail executables. In partitular, I believe it supports
all of the extensions added by DEC and Sun.

I must have fixed a hundred bugs. One of the things I did was to
verify the cf to ease to cf translations for the standard Sun and Dec
supplied files. That is, I converted the cf file to ease and converted
the ease file to cf. I had a program that stripped out the comments
and compared the two files. I felt comforable that cf files could be
translated into ease and back again with no loss of data. One of the
changes that was needed with this was the retaining of ease variable
names (the ease variable "A" was converted to the sendmail variable
"A"). I routinely convert sendmail files to ease and make the changes
in ease, and then convert back.

I also added cpp support, improved the error reporting, and added
support for SunOS and Ultrix sendmail. I also added most of the IDA
sendmail enhancements, but didn't finish because I didn't use them and
I ran out of time.

I did add a asm(" ") command so that you could add direct sendmail
commands for the code that ease didn't support.

I am swamped right now, so I suggest you ask Arnold for the patches.
I can send them out to you if you ask me - but the queue of favors I have
backlogged is very large now.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crd.ge.com>   uunet!crdgw1!barnett