[comp.mail.sendmail] mailcf went away?

nelson@IMAGE.SOE.CLARKSON.EDU (Russ Nelson) (12/30/89)

Appendix D of my SMI _System Administration for the Sun Workstation_ says
that ~/.mailcf is read as a sendmail configuration file after the system
configuration file is read.  However, it seems to be ignored, and there is
no string "mailcf" in /usr/lib/sendmail.  It seems like .mailcf isn't
supported anymore.  Is this true?
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.
A recession now appears more than 2 years away -- John D. Mathon, 4 Oct 1989.
I think killing is value-neutral in and of itself. -- Gary Strand, 8 Nov 1989.
Liberals run this country, by and large. -- Clayton Cramer, 20 Nov 1989.
Shut up and mind your Canadian business, you meddlesome foreigner. -- TK, 23 N.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.
A recession now appears more than 2 years away -- John D. Mathon, 4 Oct 1989.
I think killing is value-neutral in and of itself. -- Gary Strand, 8 Nov 1989.

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (12/30/89)

Yes, there's a comment in the sendmail source to the effect that the
.mailcf capability was deleted somewhere around 5.58 or so because of
user abuse of the feature.
	- Brian

chet@cwns1.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) (01/03/90)

In article <10656@ucsd.Edu> brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>Yes, there's a comment in the sendmail source to the effect that the
>.mailcf capability was deleted somewhere around 5.58 or so because of
>user abuse of the feature.

5.58??

It didn't survive 1984, much less the 4.3 release:

D 4.30  84/05/13 15:45:35       eric    396     395     00000/00000/00005
remove .mailcf hack -- it's been abused.

Chet Ramey

--
Chet Ramey
Network Services Group				"Help! Help! I'm being