[comp.mail.sendmail] Address for telly.UUCP

lancelot@spock.UUCP (Thor Lancelot Simon) (02/09/90)

Please note that I am cross-posting this where it may get some more informed

In article <131454@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
| In article <4239@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wfink@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Wonderbitch) writes:
| |
| | OK, here's an address that has yet to tell me my mail didn't get through:
| |    try uunet!altcan!telly!erotica
| |                                         Luck,
| |                                           the Wonderbitch

This dies on me *AT UUNET* - it seems that the folks there drastically reduced
their forwarding magic recently, as most stuff I try to ! from uunet to else-
where dies right there, whereas it usually didn't.  Maybe too much system time
was being taken up by people passing their stuff through uunet and counting on
the mailers there to route it properly.  Can anybody confirm or deny this for
me?

| ------
|
| 	My system doesn't know about system 'uunet'....:-(.

If you're on the internet, try 'uunet.uu.net'.  That's the domain style way.
If you're a UUCP site with an obsolete palias.txt, like us, try these prefixes:

yale!hsi!uunet

rutgers!uunet

seismo!uunet

| -wat-
|
|    --- An it harm none, do what you will.

*Thor Simon              * (Oh no! I don't have an Internet address anymore!) *
*Formerly simon@         * Now I am: lancelot@spock.uucp                      *
*cs.columbia.edu         *       or: uunet!hsi!yale!spock!lancelot            *
*              You just can't kill for Jesus.   --James Taylor                *

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (02/09/90)

Someone was asking about this path:

   uunet!altcan!telly!erotica

This is wrong^, it should be attcan.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (02/09/90)

In article <981@spock.UUCP> lancelot@spock.UUCP (Thor Lancelot Simon) writes:
>In article <131454@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>| In article <4239@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wfink@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Wonderbitch) writes:
>| |
>| | OK, here's an address that has yet to tell me my mail didn't get through:
>| |    try uunet!altcan!telly!erotica
Don't know if this is a typo but it should be 'attcan' not 'altcan'.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.

root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) (02/10/90)

In article <1990Feb9.145725.14873@druid.uucp> darcy@druid.UUCP (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
> In article <981@spock.UUCP> lancelot@spock.UUCP (Thor Lancelot Simon) writes:
> >In article <131454@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
> >| In article <4239@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wfink@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Wonderbitch) writes:
> >| |

I think the fundamental problem is the fact that Evan is in a different
domain that of nodename.UUCP. Checking the latest maps reveals that
telly.on.ca is an appropriate sitename. Try that!

NAME:     Dennis S. Breckenridge                 UUCP: dennis@nebulus
               EMACS: Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping!

lamy@cs.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (02/11/90)

root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:

>I think the fundamental problem is the fact that Evan is in a different
>domain that of nodename.UUCP. Checking the latest maps reveals that
>telly.on.ca is an appropriate sitename. Try that!

Checking the same maps shows that "telly" has its own uucp map entry, and so
should therefore figure under that name in the pathalias output.

Note as well that there is a separate entry for ".telly.on.ca", which is put
out automatically by the UUCP coordinator for the CA domain.  There you will
find advertized that the preferred UUCP route for domain "telly.on.ca" goes
through "telly" (along with 3 additional routes via other networks).

telly never got out of the maps, and this would have never arisen if the
original poster used a smart mailer instead of mistyping "attcan" as "altcan".

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@cs.utoronto.ca, uunet!cs.utoronto.ca!lamy
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (02/12/90)

In article <7374@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon) writes:

>>|    try uunet!altcan!telly!erotica

>>Don't know if this is a typo but it should be 'attcan' not 'altcan'.

>I got my bounce from attcan.  IF attcan is an AT&T site and telly isin't
>I woululd expect that.  AT&T sites stopped forwarding outside mail
>a while ago.  But then again I could be all wet....  I have NO IDEA
>if attcan has anything to do with AT&T or not.

You're all damp.

Site attcan is indeed AT&T Canada, and they're not following lockstep
with AT&T U.S. It's a major news and mail hub in the Toronto
area, and is one of the two main ways to get UUCP mail from Central
Ontario to uunet. If there still was a backbone, attcan would be on it.

It has been this site's (and a number of others') chief upstream Usenet
feed for some time, and has been reliable and generous of its resources.

>( I am by no means knowledgable in the complex nature of att internal
>  email.  We ( AT&T Paradyne ) have only been with att for about a year
>  now.  We run our mail, and att will talk to us, and thats about as
>  far as we go for right now.  My source above was net.common.knowledge. )

Consider yourself corrected.

>Can anyone from attcan help straighten this out?  They seem to bouncing
>most of this mail, and probably for a good reason.

attcan has been doing just fine, handling much of the almost 450 votes
which have arrived here on rec.arts.erotica. Please be sure of yourself
before suggesting that attcan is the cause of your problem.

--
Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
   evan@telly.on.ca / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504