[comp.mail.sendmail] Time Zone Question

dan@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Daniel J. Dick) (02/01/90)

When I inherited a network of suns, I noticed that we had an old version of
sendmail.mx running, so I went ahead and installed sendmail.5.61 which
everyone recommended to me.

Everything seems to work fine so far except that the message headers come
out with -0800 instead of PST for the time zone in the date fields.  This
is probably an easy question, but I am not familiar enough with all the
finer details of sendmail to know which format is the "right" one or what
to expect or how to change it in the normal way to get PST instead of -0800.

--
Daniel J. Dick (dan@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov)
Systems Manager

peter@orfeo.radig.de (Peter Radig) (02/04/90)

dan@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Daniel J. Dick) writes:
>Everything seems to work fine so far except that the message headers come
>out with -0800 instead of PST for the time zone in the date fields.  This
>is probably an easy question, but I am not familiar enough with all the
>finer details of sendmail to know which format is the "right" one or what
>to expect or how to change it in the normal way to get PST instead of -0800.

The time zones are rewritten by sendmail to their difference times from the
Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) to have a date that is comparable with other dates
from other parts of the world. So a mail reader doesn't need to know about all
time zones outside and incoming mail can be sorted by the time it was written.

But in the future there will be a little problem: England intends to introduce
daylight saving time. Nowadays, they are the only West European country without
such things.

Peter
--
Peter Radig
Voice: +49 69 746972

enag@slembe.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (02/06/90)

In article <1990Feb4.140030.965@orfeo.radig.de> peter@orfeo.radig.de (Peter Radig) writes:

> But in the future there will be a little problem: England intends to introduce
> daylight saving time. Nowadays, they are the only West European country without
> such things.

I think you've gotten things a bit upside down here.

GMT is not tied to whatever political decisions some stupid island-
government would make concerning daylight saving time.  That's why we
(the part of the world with no "Greenwhich" complex) call it UTC
(Coordinated Universal Time).

Another thing is that daylight saving time does not constitute moving
that silly island, or Greenwhich in particular, 15 degrees east, and
neither does it move the sun, so it really wouldn't matter what kind
of daylight saving time those islanders were to elect.  Greenwhich is
still where it was when someone discovered the need for a 0 meridian,
and it's gonna be for a long time.  In fact, even if they renamed New
Zealand to "Greenwhich" or you consider South-West Connecticut the
center of the world, "GMT" would be the same abstract reference point
for time measures.

Let's all switch to call it "UTC", instead.  That way, no petite
island gets all the fame.  Remember the Incas, now but a memory.
Remember the ancient Greek, now but a memory.  Remember the British
Empire...

"We apologize if you have gotten the impression that the British Isles
are a bunch of wasteland with an incestuously degenerating population,
their very own set of `standards' for everything, and a mail system
that invites to long tales of sarcasm.  Such was not at all our
intention."  [private communication]

Oh, since this is about time zones.  When Bering Standard Time had
been around for _years_, some British dude found out it would be nice
with "British Standard Time".  Yeah, verily.  "In 1907, an Englishman,
William Willett, campaigned for setting the clock ahead by 80 minutes
in four moves of 20 minutes each during the spring and summer months."
[Enc Brit 1985, vol 3, p 925]

However, "several countries, including Australia, Britain, Germany and
the United States, adopted summer daylight saving time during World
War I to conserve fuel by reducing the need for artificial light."
[ibid]

Last time I checked, Britain had DST, so I think you were wrong on
that account, too.

[Erik]

Andy.Linton@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Andy Linton) (02/07/90)

(Peter Radig) writes:

> But in the future there will be a little problem: England intends to
introduce
> daylight saving time. Nowadays, they are the only West European
country without
> such things.

Surely not, the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern
Ireland) have something called British Summer Time which operates each
year. The abbreviation is BST which can cause confusion with Bering
Straits Time (:-)

The difference between the UK and the rest of Europe is that the dates
on which the changes are made have not in the past been decided by a
fixed algorithm but by a decision in Parliament each year. I understand
that this is to change to bring the UK in line with Eureopean Economic
Community legislation and I suspect this is the change that Peter is
talking about.
--
SENDER = Andy Linton
EMAIL  = Andy.Linton@comp.vuw.ac.nz	PHONE = +64 4 721 000 x8978

roberts@nimrod.wpd.sgi.com (Robert Stephens) (02/14/90)

In article <ENAG.90Feb6050604@slembe.uio.no> enag@slembe.uio.no (Erik Naggum)
writes:

> GMT is not tied to whatever political decisions some stupid island-
> government would make concerning daylight saving time.  That's why we
> (the part of the world with no "Greenwhich" complex) call it UTC
> (Coordinated Universal Time).
>
> Another thing is that daylight saving time does not constitute moving
> that silly island, or Greenwhich in particular, 15 degrees east, and
> neither does it move the sun, so it really wouldn't matter what kind
> of daylight saving time those islanders were to elect.  Greenwhich is
> still where it was when someone discovered the need for a 0 meridian,
> and it's gonna be for a long time.  In fact, even if they renamed New
> Zealand to "Greenwhich" or you consider South-West Connecticut the
> center of the world, "GMT" would be the same abstract reference point
> for time measures.
>
> Let's all switch to call it "UTC", instead.  That way, no petite
> island gets all the fame.  Remember the Incas, now but a memory.
> Remember the ancient Greek, now but a memory.  Remember the British
> Empire...

        ... remember the Vikings?

> "We apologize if you have gotten the impression that the British Isles
> are a bunch of wasteland with an incestuously degenerating population,
> their very own set of `standards' for everything, and a mail system
> that invites to long tales of sarcasm.  Such was not at all our
> intention."  [private communication]

        I think what we have here is one embittered Viking!
        I had no idea they were still carrying grudges :-)

        Onward to European unity!  Best of luck in '92 y'all.

                - Robert Stephens

The opinions expressed herein are entirely my own, and in no way
represent the opnions of my employer.