[comp.mail.sendmail] How to set a "Reply-To: " filed in the mail header?

rouben@math9.math.umbc.edu (Rouben Rostamian) (02/10/90)

I use ucb mail in ULTRIX.  I wonder if there is an option to add a header line
of the sort:

in some of the mail that I send out from various machines, just like it's
done in usenet postings.  My man page on mail is silent about this.

Any hints will be appreciated.

--Rouben Rostamian

P.S.: I do know about .forward files, but nevertheless I would prefer
      specifying a Reply-To header field.

--

Rouben Rostamian                               Telephone: (301) 455-2458
Department of Mathematics and Statistics       e-mail:

roberts@nimrod.wpd.sgi.com (Robert Stephens) (02/20/90)

In article <2773@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, rouben@math9.math.umbc.edu (Rouben Rostamian) writes:

> I use ucb mail in ULTRIX.  I wonder if there is an option to add a header line
> of the sort:

Not that I know of.  I just had to add such an option to our version of ucb
Mail in IRIX.  I don't think you can do it at all with standard ucb Mail.

	Robert Stephens

argv%turnpike@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (02/20/90)

In article <51174@sgi.sgi.com> roberts@nimrod.wpd.sgi.com (Robert Stephens) writes:
> In article <2773@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, rouben@math9.math.umbc.edu (Rouben Rostamian) writes:
> > I use ucb mail in ULTRIX.  I wonder if there is an option to add a header line
> > of the sort:
> Not that I know of.  I just had to add such an option to our version of ucb
> Mail in IRIX.  I don't think you can do it at all with standard ucb Mail.

In Mush, just type:
    my_hdr Reply-To: roberts
and there you go.  Note: Mush is backwards compatible with ucbMail,
so there's no learning curve involved in getting up to speed with
Mush.  However, Mush is as powerful as the other mail packages, if
not more so, so it might be worth your while to ftp it than to
continue hacking your ucbMail.  And while I'm pushing Mush :-),
it's portable to virtually all versions of UNIX (no problems yet)
and there is a DOS version as well.

ftp info: ucbvax:pub/mailers/mush-7.0.tar.Z
those who want the DOS version mail to lmoc@lena.uucp (via uunet).
Mush is currently at version 7.0.4.  7.1 will be out shortly --
this has significant improvements to the sunview mode.
dan
		    O'Reilly && Associates
		argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com
	   632 Petaluma Ave, Sebastopol, CA 95472
     800-338-NUTS, in CA: 800-533-NUTS, FAX 707-829-0104

jan@cft.philips.nl (Jan Stevens) (02/21/90)

Most mailers use a fixed, predefined header. To change the header you
must use a mailer which is capable of adding lines to the header. Elm is
such a type of mailer. What the layout of the header concerns :
  It ends with an empty line.
  It must have a To and From line.

Jan Stevens, Unix Support Engineer
Philips CFT, the Netherlands
e-mail: jan@philtis.cft.philips.nl

jdpeek@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Jerry Peek) (03/02/90)

In article <2773@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, rouben@math9.math.umbc.edu (Rouben Rostamian) writes:
> I use ucb mail in ULTRIX.  I wonder if there is an option to add a header line
> of the sort:

I'm two weeks behind on my news :-(, so sorry if I missed someone else's
posting (expired by now) with this answer.  MH lets you customize
the header completely.  You make a blank draft template file called
"components".  It could look like this:

	Subject:
	-------

Then, when you send a message, you'll be prompted for the empty components.
The Reply-to: component in this file will be used, as is, automatically.

--Jerry Peek; Syracuse University Academic Computing Services; Syracuse, NY
  jdpeek@rodan.acs.syr.edu, JDPEEK@SUNRISE.BITNET        +1 315 443-3995