[comp.mail.sendmail] Help needed for building sendmail

chen@mv4.unca.adhocnet.ca (03/11/90)

Help!  I'm trying to build Sendmail v5.61 on an IRIS 3130.  First big problem
is that there is no file locking....

Is there a version of Sendmail that's compilable on this system?  Or, what
mailer program should I be using.

Later, when I get something working...all non-local mail will be sent to
another system [Sun] for processing...how would I set this up?

 Lawrence Chen "I'm crazy, I don't work for anybody, and I'm having fun!"
 BITNET:   Chen%MV4.UNCA.AdHocNet.CA@UNCAEDU.bitnet           - The Dreamer
 INTERNET: Chen@MV4.UNCA.AdHocNet.CA   BBS: Lunatic Haven [CA 403 239 1225]

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (03/12/90)

In article <900310190222.08r@mv2.UCalgary.CA>, chen@mv4.unca.adhocnet.ca writes:
> Help!  I'm trying to build Sendmail v5.61 on an IRIS 3130.  First big problem
> is that there is no file locking....
>
> Is there a version of Sendmail that's compilable on this system?  Or, what
> mailer program should I be using.

3.5 and 3.6 had a 5.51 or perhaps 5.52.  The port of 5.61 is straight forward,
provided you do the fdopen(dup(...)) business recently discussed here
or in bugs.sys5.  On a 3030, you will have to disable the resolver stuff,
since 3.6 dates to before we shipped BIND.

> Later, when I get something working...all non-local mail will be sent to
> another system [Sun] for processing...how would I set this up?
>
>  Lawrence Chen "I'm crazy, I don't work for anybody, and I'm having fun!"
>  BITNET:   Chen%MV4.UNCA.AdHocNet.CA@UNCAEDU.bitnet           - The Dreamer
>  INTERNET: Chen@MV4.UNCA.AdHocNet.CA   BBS: Lunatic Haven [CA 403 239 1225]

The /usr/lib/sendmail and /usr/lib/sendmail.cf shipped with 3.5 and 3.6 did
this.  Look at the DF and CF definitions.  The sendmail.cf's used within
SGI have had a "forwarding host" scheme for years.  I generated the
sendmail.cf we shipped by changing most of the real host and domain names
in the version used within SGI.

The Hotline may be able to provide additional assistance.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com

peter@orfeo.radig.de (Peter Radig) (03/13/90)

chen@mv4.unca.adhocnet.ca writes:

>Help!  I'm trying to build Sendmail v5.61 on an IRIS 3130.  First big problem
>is that there is no file locking....

Uncommet the code of the `flock()' system call in the sources and disable
the automatic rebuilding of the dbm-alias-database in `sendmail.cf'.

>Is there a version of Sendmail that's compilable on this system?  Or, what
>mailer program should I be using.

Move your system's stock mailer `mail' to `lmail' and use the binmail
source of the sendmail distribution. Also replace `/bin/rmail' by
the one shipped with sendmail (it logs als incoming mail - that very
fine for debugging your sendmail.cf).

>Later, when I get something working...all non-local mail will be sent to
>another system [Sun] for processing...how would I set this up?

Set the definition of the `relay host' in sendmail.cf to the appropiate
value.

Hope that'll help
Peter
--