[comp.mail.sendmail] getting contents of header lines into rewrite rules

mp@allegra.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) (04/11/90)

One of our neighbors sends mail without an '@hostname' in the From:
line:
	Date: 6 Apr 1990 11:33-EST
	From: mf
	Subject: Projects
	To: allegra!ad
	Origin: mhuhk

mf doesn't have an account on our system, and one of the department
heads here is thus complaining "I would like to be able to type 'r' and
have my mail respond to the author of the mail I am reading."  Is there
a way in sendmail to get the contents of a header line into a rewrite
rule?  I'd like to be able to notice the 'Origin: mhuhk' line and then
have sendmail change a sender of <$-> into <$1@mhuhk>.

	Mark Plotnick
	allegra!mp     mp@allegra.att.com

Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM (04/11/90)

Of course, your neighbor's mail is broken; it's supposed to have a host
name in the From: header when it leaves his site.  I know of no way to
get your sendmail.cf to look at any Origin: line to figure out some host
to attach.

His message-ID is broken, too, since it contains unquoted spaces, but
maybe that matters less.  For that matter, there's not supposed to be a
hyphen before the timezone in the Date: header, but who's counting.

This is trivial to fix in mhuhk's sendmail.cf file; the rewriting
ruleset (usually 4) can add the local host name to any addresses that
don't already have one.

Good luck.

		Craig

billr@saab.CNA.TEK.COM (Bill Randle) (04/12/90)

I have just the oppositer problem - I want to *prevent* sendmail from
rewriting header lines. I have a unregistered uucp neighbor who's only
connectivity is via uucp to me. His sendmail generates a From line
like: "user@remote.uucp". Since remote is not registered, though, it
seemed like the thing to do was add a "Reply-to:" header that would route
replies via me, e.g.: "Reply-to: user%remote.uucp@me.some.domain".
In theory this seemed like it would work, but sendmail rewrites this
header line (and the uucp rewriting rules do it in a particular nasty fashion)
such that the outgoing result looks like:
The actual cf entry I'm using for testing is:
	HReply-to: <$u%$j@me.some.domain>

Any ideas? Is there an alternative to creating a Reply-to header?

	-Bill Randle
	Tektronix, Inc.
	billr@saab.CNA.TEK.COM

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (04/12/90)

In article <5447@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM> billr@saab.CNA.TEK.COM (Bill Randle) writes:
> I have a unregistered uucp neighbor who's only connectivity is via uucp
> to me. His sendmail generates a From line like: "user@remote.uucp".
> Since remote is not registered, though, it seemed like the thing to do
> was add a "Reply-to:" header that would route replies via me, e.g.:
> it would work, but sendmail rewrites this header line ...

How about creating an alias for this guy on your own machine, and making
the Reply-To: header mention your alias instead of his address.

--
"My God, Thiokol, when do you      \\    Tom Neff
want me to launch?  Next April?"   \\    tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET