[net.games.trivia] Who Remembers Andy???

jkw@lanl.ARPA (05/17/85)

Who remembers the TV show called "Andy's Gang" ?  As I recall, it was a
Saturday late-morning show starring (?) Andy Devine.  It was basically a
bunch of skits and film shorts.

One of the regular bits was a frog who appeared out of a grandfather clock
in a cloud of smoke and went through a vaudeville routine with Andy --
insults, bad jokes, pies-in-the-face, etc.  When Andy had had enough, he
would say "Pluck (Plunk ?) your magic twanger, Froggie" and the frog would
disappear back into the clock with a cloud of smoke and a twanging sound...
....Boingoingoingoing.

I seem to remember a semi-regular serial about a jungle boy (Rama ?) who
spent most of his time riding through the jungle on elephants.

Now, for all of you trivia buffs:

  What was the slogan of Andy's Gang, repeated religiously at the end of
  every show by a screaming audience of thousands of kids ???

lhl@lanl.ARPA (05/17/85)

> Who remembers the TV show called "Andy's Gang" ?
>
> One of the regular bits was a frog who appeared out of a grandfather clock
> in a cloud of smoke and went through a vaudeville routine with Andy --
> insults, bad jokes, pies-in-the-face, etc.  When Andy had had enough, he
> would say "Pluck (Plunk ?) your magic twanger, Froggie" and the frog would
> disappear back into the clock with a cloud of smoke and a twanging sound...
> ....Boingoingoingoing.

*** eHpl !'I m arpsinorei  n aDP-P11 ! ***

  I can't help thinking you have more than one show here.  The line
"Plunk your magic twanger, Froggie" was regularly delivered to Froggie
the Gremlin by the host of "Smilin' Ed McConnell and the Buster Brown
Gang."  Froggie would appear magically as Ed started a story, and
interrupt him with humorous endings to his sentences.
  The only other thing I remember about the show is that they had a
regular who spoke only in verse (called, I think, Mr. Poet.)

jeffm@mmintl.UUCP (Jeffrey Miller) (05/21/85)

Yes.
I think this show was called the Buster Brown Show, brought to you by
Buster Brown Shoes (there was a picture of Buster where every kid's
heel would sit inside the shoe).  When Andy said "pluck your magic
twanger froggie," which I think is one of the greatest lines of all
time, froggie would appear and in the gruffest voice say,"hiya kids
hiya hiya."
On 2nd thought, did Andy say that, or did he bounce down the road on
a horse chasing WBH yelling, "Hey Wild Bill, wait for me!"

					Jeff

Chatsworth Osborne Jr. was "such a nasty boy." -- his mother

aat@packard.UUCP (AA Triolo) (05/23/85)

Recently lhl@lanl.ARPA writes:

>> Who remembers the TV show called "Andy's Gang" ?
>>
>> One of the regular bits was a frog who appeared out of a grandfather clock
>> in a cloud of smoke and went through a vaudeville routine with Andy --
>> insults, bad jokes, pies-in-the-face, etc.  When Andy had had enough, he
>> would say "Pluck (Plunk ?) your magic twanger, Froggie" and the frog would
>> disappear back into the clock with a cloud of smoke and a twanging sound...
>> ....Boingoingoingoing.
>
>*** eHpl !'I m arpsinorei  n aDP-P11 ! ***
>
>  I can't help thinking you have more than one show here.  The line
>"Plunk your magic twanger, Froggie" was regularly delivered to Froggie
>the Gremlin by the host of "Smilin' Ed McConnell and the Buster Brown
>Gang."  Froggie would appear magically as Ed started a story, and
>interrupt him with humorous endings to his sentences.
>  The only other thing I remember about the show is that they had a
>regular who spoke only in verse (called, I think, Mr. Poet.)

I've got a gang,
You've got a gang,
Everybody's got to have a gang...
(the next line excapes me at the moment)
... Yes, It's Andy's Gang!!!!!

Yes indeed, I remember Andy's Gang with Andy Devine.
It was a regular Saturday morning ritual at my house
way back when (anybody know what years??). As a
part of the show Andy had his friend Froggie come out
for a while and then would send him back by popping
his magic twanger. Also, as part of the show was a serial,
Rama of the Jungle, which was set in India.

Other shows I seem to recall from that time are
Sargent Preston of the Mounties, and Sky King.
Anybody remember these??

wjhe@hlexa.UUCP (Bill Hery) (05/25/85)

> Other shows I seem to recall from that time are
> Sargent Preston of the Mounties, and Sky King.
> Anybody remember these??

I think that was Sargent Preston of the Yukon.  He was a Mountie
(Royal Canadian Mounted Police); I think he had a dog named KING.
Can anyone confirm?

marv@ISM780.UUCP (05/30/85)

>I think that was Sargent Preston of the Yukon.  He was a Mountie
>(Royal Canadian Mounted Police); I think he had a dog named KING.
>Can anyone confirm?

Yes the name of the show is Sargent Preston of the Yukon and the dog is King.
This program is currently being presented weekly on KNX(am) radio in Los
Angeles. I believe the time is 9 pm on Tuesday.

KNX broadcasts old time radio programs every week night between 9 and 10 pm.
Included are Red Rider (who is his side kick, what are the names of the
horses), Gang Busters, and Tales of the Black Museum among others.

     Marv Rubinstein,
     Interactive Systems.

jeffm@mmintl.UUCP (Jeffrey Miller) (05/30/85)

*
Sergeant Preston used to say "well King, this is another case closed" at the
end of each show, to his faithful husky.