[comp.mail.sendmail] Canonical version of sendmail?

Is there a canonical version of sendmail?  If so, where do I FTP it
from?  Also, I fetched a version that looked promising, and it had
mucho undocumented additions.  To my mind, the canonical version of
sendmail would also come with documentation (more than the inadequate
man page).

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Violence never solves problems, it just changes them into more subtle problems

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (06/01/90)

Canonical sendmail is the one in the anon ftp area on ucbvax.berkeley.edu
(or ucbarpa.berkeley.edu or okeeffe.berkeley.edu, depending on who has space).
--
Paul Vixie
DEC Western Research Lab	<vixie@wrl.dec.com>

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (06/01/90)

In <1990May31.142725.27441@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>Is there a canonical version of sendmail? ...
>  To my mind, the canonical version of
>sendmail would also come with documentation (more than the inadequate
>man page).

Then by your mindset, there is no canonical version of sendmail.

Nor is it likely that there ever will be one.

The closest you can come to is the current latest release from UCB,
found in various places (ucbvax.berkeley.edu and uunet.uu.net are likely
candidates to have the copies of the official source).
	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.