[comp.mail.sendmail] What's wrong with this?

lovstran@zany.EuroPARC.Xerox.COM (Lennart Lovstrand) (06/01/90)

In article <7666@ur-cc.UUCP> Mark Sirota <msir@cc.rochester.edu> writes:
> The system: VAXstation 3100 running Ultrix 3.0.
>
> The problem: The following two lines show up in /usr/spool/mail/syslog when
> I try to freeze the configuration: [lines broken for readability.  Also, the
> ^A's are really control-A's.
>
> > May 29 16:24:22 localhost: 20792 sendmail: NOQUEUE: SYSERR:
> > /usr/lib/sendmail.cf: line 388: invalid rewrite line
> > "R^A+@^A+                  ^A2!^A1                   Change to UUCP format"

Unless there is some mailer/news system between us that does
tab-to-space conversion, it looks like your rewrite lines has spaces
instead of tabs between the pattern/result/comment fields.  Yup folks,
just like make(1), random whitespace just won't do.

The ^A's are what sendmail converts $+'s to internally.

> I don't see anything wrong with this, and I'm not getting errors on other
> machines (this is our only Ultrix machine) with the same configuration
> file.  What's going on here?

P'haps you used some window based editor/terminal emulator to copy the
lines from one sendmail.cf to another and lost the tabs on the way?

--
--Lennart <Lovstrand.EuroPARC@Xerox.COM>
Rank Xerox EuroPARC, 61 Regent St, Cambridge, CB2 1AB, England

Random IBM PC clone: "Missing keyboard; hit F1 to continue."