[net.games.trivia] remember mattel spacemen?

allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (Allyn Fratkin) (05/24/85)

In the very late 60's or early 70's Mattel had a line of spacemen (each
sold separately) and a whole bunch of gadgets to go along with them (e.g.,
a space station, etc).  These men were about 6 inches high, and were molded
plastic/rubber, sort of like a gumby.  Each wore a differently colored
space suit.

Does anyone remember the names of these men?  I recently found one of them.
I seem to recall they had names like "Major Matt".  The one I have is wearing
a blue space suit.

Thanks,
--
 From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin            allyn@UCSD.ARPA           or
                          UCSD EMU/Pascal Project  {ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}

 "Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance."

jbtubman@water.UUCP (Jim Tubman [LPAIG]) (05/27/85)

In article <888@sdcsvax.UUCP> allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (Allyn Fratkin) writes:
>In the very late 60's or early 70's Mattel had a line of spacemen (each
>sold separately) and a whole bunch of gadgets to go along with them (e.g.,
>a space station, etc).  These men were about 6 inches high, and were molded
>plastic/rubber, sort of like a gumby.  Each wore a differently colored
>space suit.
>
>Does anyone remember the names of these men?  I recently found one of them.
>I seem to recall they had names like "Major Matt".  The one I have is wearing
>a blue space suit.

Of course!  The Christmas present I wanted more than anything else in the
world when I was five!  MAJOR MATT MASON!!  They were much like Allyn
describes them, but he didn't mention that there were metal wires inside the
astronauts that allowed them to hold their position when you bent an arm or
leg.  Major Matt had a friend called (I think) Sgt. Storm.  There were all
sorts of neat gadgets to go with them, such as the Space Sled and the Moon
Base.  I also had one of those Little Big Books (or whatever they were
called) called "Major Matt Mason: Moon Mission".  The book also talked about
a female astronaut whose name eludes me.

These guys were just the thing for space-happy little kids.  Like me.

						Jim Tubman
						University of Waterloo

jaffe@topaz.ARPA (Saul) (05/28/85)

Boy does this bring back memories of my childhood!!!

At one point I had the whole series.  If I remember correctly the
characters were:

Major Matt Mason
Colonel Bob Smith
Callisto {a friendly alien that came with its own set of gadgets}

and a giant character whose name I cannot remember offhand.  The
laser cannon was designed so that this character could sit and
control it while the other characters could not.

There was also a lnad crawler, transport bubble {which could be
hooked up to the crawler or to the laser cannon} and a space
station.  The crawler could be hooked on top of the station to
provide a winch.

I used to have lots of fun with this many years ago.
--
Saul Jaffe
Systems Programmer

broehl@wateng.UUCP (Bernie Roehl) (05/28/85)

<line eater bug line>

Yes!  I remember Major Matt Mason!  (I, too, was a space-happy kid!).

They had this two-tier space station with tinted transparent panels for
walls, a moon buggy, a bulky shell-like moon suit, a reconnaisance craft
that flew a string (fly by wire? :-) ) and a great big moon crawler vehicle
that had two four-legged "wheels" for crawling over rough terrain.

Great fun.

--
        -Bernie Roehl    (University of Waterloo)
	...decvax!watmath!wateng!broehl

alan@cae780.UUCP (Alan M. Steinberg) (05/29/85)

In article <888@sdcsvax.UUCP> allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (Allyn Fratkin) writes:
>In the very late 60's or early 70's Mattel had a line of spacemen (each
>sold separately) and a whole bunch of gadgets to go along with them (e.g.,
>a space station, etc).  These men were about 6 inches high, and were molded
>plastic/rubber, sort of like a gumby.  Each wore a differently colored
>space suit.
>Does anyone remember the names of these men?  I recently found one of them.
>I seem to recall they had names like "Major Matt".  The one I have is wearing
>a blue space suit.

Major Matt Mason and his pals were hot stuff during the Age of Imagination
(pre-PacMan).  I never got one, but I did have a Major Matt Mason puzzle.
One of the big accessories for the little men was a moon-walker.  I don't
remember any bad guys.  If you look at the packages for today's toy dolls,
such as He-Man, you'll see them labeled "good" or "evil".  Can't a kid decide
for himself?  Whoops.  This isn't net.flame.
	What kind of Hot Wheels cars are there now?   Remember the Splittin'
Image, and the Beatnik Bandit?
--
           __
          /  0_____			Alan Steinberg
          |       .\		{ucbvax}!decwrl!amdcad!cae780!alan
          |   )----'
         / | \ X    "The wind doth taste so bittersweet,
          \_____/    Like those of Caspar Weinberger."
           |____)           -- P. Opus, distinguished flightless water fowl

mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) (05/29/85)

In article <888@sdcsvax.UUCP> allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (Allyn Fratkin) writes:
>In the very late 60's or early 70's Mattel had a line of spacemen (each
>sold separately) and a whole bunch of gadgets to go along with them (e.g.,
>a space station, etc).  These men were about 6 inches high, and were molded
>plastic/rubber, sort of like a gumby.  Each wore a differently colored
>space suit.
>
>Does anyone remember the names of these men?  I recently found one of them.
>I seem to recall they had names like "Major Matt".  The one I have is wearing
>a blue space suit.
>
>Thanks,
	The original one was "Major Matt Mason".  There were several
different figures, all made out of rubber, with wire joints covered with
an accordian-like piece of plastic.  They had a bunch of vehicles, I
espically remember the Moon-Walker (had 4 legs on each side, kinda like
twin windmills........)

--

  Mike Stalnaker  UUCP:{decvax!decuac,cbosgd,seismo}!dolqci!mike
		  AT&T:202-376-2593

		  "Never appeal to a man's better nature. He may not
		   have one. Appeal to his better interests instead"
						--Lazarus Long

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/29/85)

>From: allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (Allyn Fratkin)
>
>In the very late 60's or early 70's Mattel had a line of spacemen (each
>sold separately) and a whole bunch of gadgets to go along with them (e.g.,
>a space station, etc).  These men were about 6 inches high, and were molded
>plastic/rubber, sort of like a gumby.  Each wore a differently colored
>space suit.
>
>Does anyone remember the names of these men?  I recently found one of them.
>I seem to recall they had names like "Major Matt".  The one I have is wearing
>a blue space suit.

The most well-known of them was Major Matt Mason who was in this stunning
white space suit. (I also had one of the other ones- in a red suit.)

They were very much like a Gumby- soft rubber over a wire frame.

Each man came with his helmet and a jetpack. The jetpack was an interesting
affair: a long black thread on an internal pulley. You would hook a little
hook that came out of the top of the pack onto something and then pull on
the string which came out the back of the jetpack and, voila, flight! (Do
you know how hard it was to untangle/fix one of those things?)

I never had the space (moon?) station, but I did have the moon buggy. It
was a large single-passenger vehicle with the most enormous sponge-covered
wheels.

On a related topic:

Does anyone else remember when G.I.Joe was an 11" doll (11.5"?) ? There
used to be a whole bunch of them as I recall also- Marine, Sailor,
Astronaut, etc.

I used to have the talking Marine G.I.Joe. God, it seems like yesterday:

	"G.I. Joe, U.S. Marine Corps reporting for duty!"

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) (05/30/85)

In article <334@moncol.UUCP>, john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:

> On a related topic:
>
> Does anyone else remember when G.I.Joe was an 11" doll (11.5"?) ? There
> used to be a whole bunch of them as I recall also- Marine, Sailor,
> Astronaut, etc.
>
> I used to have the talking Marine G.I.Joe. God, it seems like yesterday:
>
> 	"G.I. Joe, U.S. Marine Corps reporting for duty!"

Yes, I remember G.I. Joe with all their accesories. I even had a jeep.

But what about Johny West. He was a 11" cowboy doll. Me and my brother had
him, hios indian friend and both of their horses. They had accesories like
pistols, rifles, hats, chaps, peace pipes, saddle bags, and cooking pans.
I believe they later came out with a Quick Draw Johny West, with a spring
loaded arm for gunfights.

armstron@sjuvax.UUCP (L. Armstrong) (05/31/85)

> In the very late 60's or early 70's Mattel had a line of spacemen (each
> sold separately) and a whole bunch of gadgets to go along with them (e.g.,
> a space station, etc).  These men were about 6 inches high, and were molded
> plastic/rubber, sort of like a gumby.  Each wore a differently colored
> space suit.
>
> Does anyone remember the names of these men?  I recently found one of them.
> I seem to recall they had names like "Major Matt".  The one I have is wearing
> a blue space suit.
>
> Thanks,
> --
>  From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin            allyn@UCSD.ARPA           or
>                           UCSD EMU/Pascal Project  {ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}
>                           U.C. San Diego                         !sdcsvax!allyn
>
>  "Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance."

The line of mattel space men you referred to were centered (I think) around
the character in the white uniform whose name was Majo Matt Mason.  There
were also characters in red, blue, and gold.  I think one of the other guy's
name's was Doug Davis.  I think they all had first and last names that began
with the same letter.

	Thanks for bringing this topic up.  It sure is fun to remember all
the old toys I used to play with.

	Remeber Captain Action and Action Boy, (not to mention their arch-
foe who had his brain exposed) ?  You used to be able to buy costumes of all
your favorite heroes and dress them up in these costumes.   There was Batman,
Superman, Robin, Aqualad,... does anyone remember any of the other costumes?

	Sigh!  Those were the "good old days".  (I can't believe I said
that... I'm ONLY 21.)

					- Len
--

					Len Armstrong
					St. Joseph's University

kwc@cvl.UUCP (Kenneth W. Crist Jr.) (06/05/85)

In article <1167@sjuvax.UUCP> armstron@sjuvax.UUCP (L. Armstrong) writes:
>> In the very late 60's or early 70's Mattel had a line of spacemen (each
>> sold separately) and a whole bunch of gadgets to go along with them (e.g.,
>> a space station, etc).  These men were about 6 inches high, and were molded
>> plastic/rubber, sort of like a gumby.  Each wore a differently colored
>> space suit.
>>
>> Does anyone remember the names of these men?  I recently found one of them.
>> I seem to recall they had names like "Major Matt".  The one I have is wearing
>> a blue space suit.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>>  From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin            allyn@UCSD.ARPA           or
>>                           UCSD EMU/Pascal Project  {ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}
>>                           U.C. San Diego                         !sdcsvax!allyn
>>
>>  "Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance."
>
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>
>The line of mattel space men you referred to were centered (I think) around
>the character in the white uniform whose name was Majo Matt Mason.  There
>were also characters in red, blue, and gold.  I think one of the other guy's
>name's was Doug Davis.  I think they all had first and last names that began
>with the same letter.
>
>	Thanks for bringing this topic up.  It sure is fun to remember all
>the old toys I used to play with.
>
>	Remeber Captain Action and Action Boy, (not to mention their arch-
>foe who had his brain exposed) ?  You used to be able to buy costumes of all
>your favorite heroes and dress them up in these costumes.   There was Batman,
>Superman, Robin, Aqualad,... does anyone remember any of the other costumes?
>
>	Sigh!  Those were the "good old days".  (I can't believe I said
>that... I'm ONLY 21.)
>
>					- Len
>--
>
>					Len Armstrong
>					St. Joseph's University
>	             {astrovax | bpa | burdvax | allegra }!sjuvax!armstron

robg@mmintl.UUCP (Robert Goldman) (06/05/85)

	I had one of the Mattel spacemen named Major Matt Mason.

							Robert P. Goldman
							MultiMate Int'l.

The toy named above was mine, and does not necessarily reflect the
recreational tastes of MultiMate International.