[comp.mail.sendmail] History questions

NAHAJ@cc.utah.edu (John Halleck) (06/26/90)

When looking at a standard sendmail.cf file in common use, a number of
questions occur to me.  I assume that the answers are "historical",
but I don't seem to know the history.  Can someone answer the following
for me:

Why does the delimiter macro ( Do.:%@!^=/[] ) NOT include comma, left
angle bracket, or right angle bracket?

What address formats use = or / for anything? (Since I don't see rules
that use them.)

- John Halleck
nahaj@cc.utah.edu
nahaj@utahcca.bitnet

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (06/29/90)

In <73125@cc.utah.edu> NAHAJ@cc.utah.edu (John Halleck) writes:
>Why does the delimiter macro ( Do.:%@!^=/[] ) NOT include comma, left
>angle bracket, or right angle bracket?
The delimiter character indicates what separates tokens within an address.
Comma and <> are used to indicate addresses in the header.

>What address formats use = or / for anything? (Since I don't see rules
>that use them.)
Nothing that anyone really cares about any more, except perhaps the
/mail filesystem. :-)

Here is what I've been using:
    ##  Token delimeters -- word separators in the rewrite rules below.
    Do.:%@![]

And I'm tempted to follow the Host Requirements RFC very strictly and
drop : and source routes altogether...
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.