[net.games.trivia] NON-ALCOHOLIC BEER

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, Pa.) (05/21/85)

Does anyone remember a soda that tasted like beer?  I vaguely remember this
product being sold about 15 years ago (I was 10 at the time).  It wasn't
available for too long maybe only a summer or two.  No one seems to remember
it not even the friends I hung around with back then.  I'm positive there
was such a product.  Then again maybe it was the real thing and it ate my
memory away:-).

						Joseph M. Dakes
						AT&T Bell Laboratories
						Reading, PA
						rduxb!jmd

wimp@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Jeff Haferman) (05/22/85)

From wimp Tue May 21 23:10:49 1985
To: /tmp/fol015582
Subject: Re: NON-ALCOHOLIC BEER (BEER SODA)

> Does anyone remember a soda that tasted like beer?  I vaguely remember this
> product being sold about 15 years ago (I was 10 at the time).  It wasn't
> available for too long maybe only a summer or two.  No one seems to remember
> it not even the friends I hung around with back then.  I'm positive there
> was such a product.  Then again maybe it was the real thing and it ate my
> memory away:-).

						> Joseph M. Dakes

     I know that when I was back home (Minneapolis) a few years ago, the
Grain Belt Brewery had a product out called "Near Beer" that tasted like
beer but had no alcohol.  I don't know if it's still around, but it's the
only beer-like "soda?" that I ever heard of.

Jeff

ogre@mhuxl.UUCP (LO COCO) (05/22/85)

> Does anyone remember a soda that tasted like beer?  I vaguely remember this
> product being sold about 15 years ago (I was 10 at the time).  It wasn't
> available for too long maybe only a summer or two.  No one seems to remember
> it not even the friends I hung around with back then.  I'm positive there
> was such a product.  Then again maybe it was the real thing and it ate my
> memory away:-).
>
> 						Joseph M. Dakes
> 						AT&T Bell Laboratories
> 						Reading, PA
> 						rduxb!jmd

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but there is a product
on the marketn called Moussey.
--

				John B. Lo Coco
				(...mhuxl!ogre)

mielke@ihuxk.UUCP (R. W. Mielke) (05/22/85)

> Does anyone remember a soda that tasted like beer?  I vaguely remember this
> product being sold about 15 years ago (I was 10 at the time).  It wasn't
> available for too long maybe only a summer or two.  No one seems to remember
> it not even the friends I hung around with back then.  I'm positive there
> was such a product.  Then again maybe it was the real thing and it ate my
> memory away:-).
>
> 						Joseph M. Dakes
> 						AT&T Bell Laboratories
> 						Reading, PA
> 						rduxb!jmd

In the Chicago area, this stuff was called "Jett Near Beer". It came
in a short brown bottle, much like the type "Old Style" comes in now.

Bob Mielke
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, Il

howard@sfmag.UUCP (H.M.Moskovitz) (05/22/85)

> Does anyone remember a soda that tasted like beer?  I vaguely remember this
> product being sold about 15 years ago (I was 10 at the time).  It wasn't
> available for too long maybe only a summer or two.  No one seems to remember
> it not even the friends I hung around with back then.  I'm positive there
> was such a product.  Then again maybe it was the real thing and it ate my
> memory away:-).

Although I am not a real fan of the taste of beer, I always thought that
Diet Dr. Pepper (AKA The Black Death :-)) tasted somewhat like very bad,
old, stale, skunky beer.

...but then, that's only what I think...

						Howard Moskovitz
						AT&T Info. Systems
						attunix!howard
"Well he took in the four a.m. show at the Clark,
	and he bit the usherette's leg in the dark..."
			- Warren Zevon

page@drutx.UUCP (KnipferRP) (05/22/85)

> Does anyone remember a soda that tasted like beer?  I vaguely remember
> this product being sold about 15 years ago (I was 10 at the time).  It
> wasn't available for too long maybe only a summer or two.  No one seems
> to remember it not even the friends I hung around with back then.  I'm
> positive there was such a product.  Then again maybe it was the real
> thing and it ate my memory away:-).

It sounds a lot like a drink that I thought was called Apple Beer.
There was also a strange tasting drink on the market called
Champale.  It was supposed to be half champagne and half beer.

					Bob Knipfer
					ihnp4!drutx!page

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (ccs020 -- Kevin Chu) (05/22/85)

> Does anyone remember a soda that tasted like beer?  I vaguely remember this
> product being sold about 15 years ago (I was 10 at the time).  It wasn't
> available for too long maybe only a summer or two.  No one seems to remember
> it not even the friends I hung around with back then.  I'm positive there
> was such a product.  Then again maybe it was the real thing and it ate my
> memory away:-).
>
> 						Joseph M. Dakes
> 						AT&T Bell Laboratories
> 						Reading, PA
> 						rduxb!jmd

I remember something called "near beer" (neer beer?), which was
a non-alcoholic beer.  Is this what you meant?

Kevin Chu
ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

/ex

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/23/85)

> Does anyone remember a soda that tasted like beer?  I vaguely remember this
> product being sold about 15 years ago (I was 10 at the time).  It wasn't
> available for too long maybe only a summer or two.  No one seems to remember
> it not even the friends I hung around with back then.  I'm positive there
> was such a product.  Then again maybe it was the real thing and it ate my
> memory away:-).

They make the stuff here, and it's enjoying a slight comeback.  It's just
non-alchohlic beer, available at Grocery stores etc...There's even a non-
alchololic liquor store around here somewhere (well, maybe it was in Denver,
it was someplace I was living a few years ago).

-Ron

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (05/24/85)

> Does anyone remember a soda that tasted like beer?  I vaguely remember this
> product being sold about 15 years ago (I was 10 at the time).  It wasn't
> available for too long maybe only a summer or two.  No one seems to remember
> it not even the friends I hung around with back then.  I'm positive there
> was such a product.  Then again maybe it was the real thing and it ate my
> memory away:-).
>
> 						Joseph M. Dakes
> 						AT&T Bell Laboratories
> 						Reading, PA
> 						rduxb!jmd

Do you mean Apple Beer?  I really liked this stuff when I was a kid.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

thomas@gondor.UUCP (Angel) (05/25/85)

[MESS THIS LINE WITH YOUR REPLACEAGE]

> Does anyone remember a soda that tasted like beer?  I vaguely remember this

Here in PA they sell a beverage known as Neer(sp) Beer.
I haven't tasted it, but my mother claims that it tastes
exactly like real beer, so much so that she new someone
who got "drunk" from it.
--
Angel                           |        "Pheromone control," he said it
thomas@psuvaxg.BITNET           |         was, "you just have to know how

bobm@rtech.UUCP (Bob Mcqueer) (05/28/85)

I've seen "Near Beer" around recently.  I don't believe this is the
"non-alcoholic" beer originally referred to, however.  I think Near
Beer is slightly alcoholic.  I seem to remember my parents telling
me about something being marketed under that name during prohibition -
it had an alcohol content just low enough to be legal.  There was also
a quote concerning it, attributed to Babe Ruth, if I remember correctly:

"Whoever named that stuff was a damned poor judge of distance"

Bob McQueer
amdahl!rtech!bobm

rob@osiris.UUCP (Robert St. Amant) (05/29/85)

> Here in PA they sell a beverage known as Neer(sp) Beer.
> I haven't tasted it, but my mother claims that it tastes
> exactly like real beer, so much so that she new someone
> who got "drunk" from it.
> --
> Angel

I heard on the radio the other day that many of these drinks that
advertise as being non-alcoholic actually contain a percent or
so of alcohol.  The subject came up because there are those who
are teetotallers for medical reasons who have tried the near beer
and have suffered violent reactions.  Caveat emptor.

				Rob St. Amant

michaelf@ISM780.UUCP (06/04/85)

	     Tastes like beer? No kick?
					Must be Coors.

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (06/06/85)

> 	     Tastes like beer? No kick?
> 					Must be Coors.

Coors doesn't pass the first statement.  Some of their other beer
is passable (Herman Josephs or George Killeans, neither of which
they sell back east here).

-Ron