[comp.mail.sendmail] Looking For Unix Mailing List Admin Software

jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca (John Stewart) (07/10/90)

One of our users is looking for software that would help in
administering a mailing list.

What he is looking for is something that emulates the LISTSERV's
function in a Unix/Sendmail/Internet environment - namely automatic
subscription and removal - but any other features would probably be
welcome.

Has anyone seen such software?

Thanks;

John Stewart
DREnet Coordinator
613-831-0888

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (07/10/90)

There is a crude UNIX-based listserv program available by anonymous FTP
from host UCSD.EDU.  Russ Nelson has been upgrading it but isn't done
yet, so you are welcome to take the old version and make of it what you
will, with no guarantees.

If you don't have FTP access, perhaps a friend who does will fetch it
for you.
	- Brian

lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) (07/20/90)

jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca (John Stewart) writes:
>What he is looking for is something that emulates the LISTSERV's
>function in a Unix/Sendmail/Internet environment - namely automatic
>subscription and removal - but any other features would probably be
>welcome.

I've got a PERL program that does subscription and removal and help,
but naught else.  Still, you're welcome to it.  It's far from perfect
(there's a little race condition involving unsubscription, where the
unsubcribe might fail if somebody else is unsubcribing), but it works,
and it's moderately well commented.

--
Lyle                      Wang             lws@comm.wang.com
508 967 2322         Lowell, MA, USA       uunet!comm.wang.com!lws