[comp.mail.sendmail] Return-Receit-To?

waldorf@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Jerry Waldorf) (08/01/90)

	Why is it that the return receipt that I get back does not
indicate which addresse that I am getting the receipt from.  For example
If I send a message to two users on one machine and one of the users
does not exist I get a return receipt from that machine but I cannot
tell which user I am getting the receipt from.  It makes sense that
in the body of the return receipt it should have a label something like
this.

Return Reciept from: user@host so that I know who got the message.

Is there a way to set this up in the sendmail.cf?

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (08/01/90)

In article <739@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM>, waldorf@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Jerry
Waldorf) writes:
> Why is it that the return receipt that I get back does not
> indicate which addresse that I am getting the receipt from.

From my memory of the last time I looked at the code, the Return Receipt
simply means that the receiving 'sendmail' has accepted the message for
local delivery.  It doesn't mean that it has made it to the actual
recipients' mailbox(es), but that it has made it to "the last stop of
the line".
--
Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.com>
InterCon Systems Corporation