[comp.mail.sendmail] Need Help With Getting Ruleset 1 to Fire

simpson@trwarcadia.sdd.trw.com (Scott Simpson) (08/15/90)

SunOS 3.5, Sendmail version 3.2 (1.2 SCCS id)

I want to hide our client machines behind our gateway machine and only
advertise our gateway machine to the rest of the world so I added the
following lines to our sendmail configuration file:

# Gateway machine
DS trwarcadia

# Clients we want to hide behind the gateway machine
CC minotaur aphrodite helicon poseidon bonodea

and I changed ruleset 1 from nothing to

S1
R$*<@$=C.$m>$*		$1<@$S.$m>$3

to change all client names to the gateway machine name on the way out.
When I run sendmail in test mode I get

trwarcadia% sendmail -bt
ADDRESS TEST MODE
Enter <ruleset> <address>
rewrite: ruleset  3   input: "simpson" "@" "minotaur" "." "sdd" "." "trw" "." "com"
rewrite: ruleset  6   input: "simpson" "<" "@" "minotaur" "." "sdd" "." "trw" "." "com" ">"
rewrite: ruleset  6 returns: "simpson" "<" "@" "minotaur" "." "sdd" "." "trw" "." "com" ">"
rewrite: ruleset  3 returns: "simpson" "<" "@" "minotaur" "." "sdd" "." "trw" "." "com" ">"
rewrite: ruleset  1   input: "simpson" "<" "@" "minotaur" "." "sdd" "." "trw" "." "com" ">"
rewrite: ruleset  1 returns: "simpson" "<" "@" "trwarcadia" "." "sdd" "." "trw" "." "com" ">"
> trwarcadia%

This didn't have any effect when I tried mailing a message from
minotaur to the outside world. Can anybody tell me why ruleset 1 is
not rewriting From: addresses correctly and how I can fix it?

simpson@trwarcadia.uucp (Scott Simpson) (08/15/90)

In article <26C85784.2FE@deneva.sdd.trw.com> simpson@trwarcadia.sdd.trw.com (Scott Simpson) writes:
>I want to hide our client machines behind our gateway machine and only
>advertise our gateway machine to the rest of the world so I added the
>following lines to our sendmail configuration file:
		...deleted...
>and I changed ruleset 1 from nothing to
>
>S1

I figured it out. It turns out that Sun subsidiary machine sendmail
files don't fully qualify machine names so I need one more rule:

R$*<@$=C>$*		$1<@$S>$3		hide clients

I.e., I stripped off the domain name.