[comp.mail.sendmail] Can sendmail use BIND MB records?

petej@ssg0.pharmacia.com (Peter M. Jansson) (08/10/90)

We have a small network running BIND and sendmail, and I'd like to be able
to address mail to a user and have it arrive on that user's "home" machine.
I know that I can have a .forward file on each system for each user to get
the mail to the home machine, but this seems like more work than necessary.
BIND accepts MB records; will sendmail(v5.59) use them to route mail in a zone?
It seems logical that I'd set up the primary server with MB records for
each user, and sendmail would notice them, but I can't figure out how to do
this.

	Pete.

jeffe@sandino.austin.ibm.com (Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091) (08/22/90)

In article <207@ssg0.pharmacia.com> petej@ssg0.pharmacia.com (Peter M. Jansson) writes:
>We have a small network running BIND and sendmail, and I'd like to be able
>to address mail to a user and have it arrive on that user's "home" machine.
>I know that I can have a .forward file on each system for each user to get
>the mail to the home machine, but this seems like more work than necessary.
>BIND accepts MB records; will sendmail(v5.59) use them to route mail in a zone?
>It seems logical that I'd set up the primary server with MB records for
>each user, and sendmail would notice them, but I can't figure out how to do
>this.

It is *very* logical, and that's the idea of the MB and MG records, but
unfortunately your sendmail doesn't deal with them.  At least up to 5.61,
all it knows to do is query for MX records for the recipient hosts.  The
sendmail in IBM's AIX 3.1 does support MB, MG, and MR records, but I
haven't heard of another one that does.  That surprises me, considering how
simple and useful a feature it is.
Peter Jeffe   ...uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!sandino.austin.ibm.com!jeffe
        first they want a disclaimer, then they make you pee in a jar,
                   then they come for you in the night

obh@ifi.uio.no (Ole Bj|rn Hessen) (08/22/90)

IDA sendmail with the KTH/LTH patches do MB, MG and MR records.
(KTH/LTH are universities in Sweden).

I don't know who is the keeper of the official KTH/LTH patches.

I've upgraded this version to sendmail 5.64 with UIUC, Vixie and
other patches. If anybody interested, I can make this version
available for anon ftp. Send me a letter.

Ole Bjorn.
obh@usit.uio.no

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (08/22/90)

In article <3220@awdprime.UUCP> jeffe@sandino.austin.ibm.com (Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091) writes:
>It is *very* logical, and that's the idea of the MB and MG records, but
>unfortunately your sendmail doesn't deal with them.  At least up to 5.61,
>all it knows to do is query for MX records for the recipient hosts.  The
>sendmail in IBM's AIX 3.1 does support MB, MG, and MR records, but I
>haven't heard of another one that does.  That surprises me, considering how
>simple and useful a feature it is.

That's a mistake.  The MB, MG, and MR records in the DNS are experimental
only, and should NOT be used in production software.  Paul Mockapetris can
probably clarify that further.
	- Brian

pafford@dg-rtp.dg.com (Randy Pafford) (08/23/90)

M. Jansson) writes:
|> >We have a small network running BIND and sendmail, and I'd like to
be able
|> >to address mail to a user and have it arrive on that user's "home"
machine.
|> >I know that I can have a .forward file on each system for each user
to get
|> >the mail to the home machine, but this seems like more work than
necessary.
|> >BIND accepts MB records; will sendmail(v5.59) use them to route mail
in a zone?
|> >It seems logical that I'd set up the primary server with MB records
for
|> >each user, and sendmail would notice them, but I can't figure out
how to do
|> >this.
|>
|> It is *very* logical, and that's the idea of the MB and MG records,
but
|> unfortunately your sendmail doesn't deal with them.  At least up to
5.61,
|> all it knows to do is query for MX records for the recipient hosts.
The
|> sendmail in IBM's AIX 3.1 does support MB, MG, and MR records, but I
|> haven't heard of another one that does.  That surprises me,
considering how
|> simple and useful a feature it is.

There is such a sendmail available. Dan Oscarsson, in
the Department of Computer Science at the Lund Institute
of Technology in Sweden distributes a sendmail that
supports MB, MG, and MR records.  It also includes support
for international character sets.  If you're really
interested, you could send him mail at Dan@dna.lth.se.
The sendmail I know about is 5.61 + IDA 1.2.8 plus
his enhancements.

Randy Pafford
Data General Corporation
62 T.W. Alexander Dr.