[comp.mail.sendmail] Token separators

keijo@vttux1.vtt.fi (keijo tuominen) (09/18/90)

I wonder it this kind of rewriting is possible in sendmail:

Adddress which comes to sendmail:

keijo.tuominen.mailnet.vtt@vtt.fi

would be rewrite to this format :

"given_name=keijo%surname=tuominen%admin_domain=mailnet%private_domain=vtt"@
mailnet.vtt.umc

The <umc> prefers to Digital's product ultrix mail connection
and the umc-mailer wants that whole name between "   " signs are as a single
token. If I try to make it this way sendmail cut the whole name in pieces
and that didn't work. So if anyone knows how to make this work I would be
interested . I don't know any magic way to make it work.
--
 *        Tuominen Keijo              *           E-mail adress:            *
 *        Vuorimiehentie 5            *        Keijo.Tuominen@vtt.fi        *

In article <5107@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi> keijo@vttux1.vtt.fi (keijo tuominen) writes:

>I wonder it this kind of rewriting is possible in sendmail:
>
>Adddress which comes to sendmail:
>
>keijo.tuominen.mailnet.vtt@vtt.fi
>
>would be rewrite to this format :
>
>"given_name=keijo%surname=tuominen%admin_domain=mailnet%private_domain=vtt"@
>mailnet.vtt.umc

 This is quite difficult to do.  I just finished experimentally designing a
ruleset which produces a quoted output address.  Here is what I learned.

  1.  Because of the special way 'sendmail' treats quotes, it is almost
      impossible to do this with a standard Berkeley sendmail.  I was
      successful only because of the IDA enhancements.  I don't believe
      I could have succeeded with vanilla sendmail.  It took some time
      examining code to find out what would work.

  2.  To build such an address you will start with a tokenized address.
      The result will remain tokenized in 'sendmail' until after it
      leaves ruleset 4, and is converted to a character string by cataddr().
      Thereafter it is not again processed by 'sendmail'.  In other
      words, treatment of the quoted part as a single token may happen
      in the next mailer the mail is transferred to, but not in this
      sendmail.

  3.  The reverse direction is impossible with current code.  That is,
      given an address in quotes it will always be a single token, and
      there is no way to break it up into multiple tokens.  An address
      only passes through prescan() once, and that is where it is
      tokenized.

 If all works well some enhance version of my experimental quoting rules
will probably appear in the sendmail/IDA package at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115.                                  +1-815-753-6940