[comp.mail.sendmail] YP aliases on VAX & SUN

neitzel@infbs.uucp (Martin Neitzel) (09/12/90)

I have no success with YP aliases on an Ethernet with both a VAX and a
SUN.  The YP mail aliases are defined on the VAX (running Ultrix), and
"ypcat aliases" works fine on the Sun.  The Sun runs the standard
sendmail from its 4.0.3 OS.

According to the docs it should look up aliases first in/etc/aliases
and then in the YP.  However, the Sun doesn't recognize any of the YP
aliases.

* Any hints?

For testing purposes I have compiled Berkeley sendmail 5.64 (+IDA?) on
the Sun.  This one uses the YP aliases when given the OA%mail.aliases
option, but ignores the local /etc/aliases in this case.

* Is this the behaviour to be expected?
* Are SunOS-4.0.3-sendmail and Berkeley-sendmail-5.63 very different
  in their behaviour?

						Martin Neitzel

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (09/16/90)

neitzel@infbs.uucp (Martin Neitzel) writes:

>I have no success with YP aliases on an Ethernet with both a VAX and a
>SUN.  The YP mail aliases are defined on the VAX (running Ultrix), and
>"ypcat aliases" works fine on the Sun.  The Sun runs the standard
>sendmail from its 4.0.3 OS.
>
>According to the docs it should look up aliases first in/etc/aliases
>and then in the YP.  However, the Sun doesn't recognize any of the YP
>aliases.
>
>* Any hints?

If you're using 5.64+IDA from UIUC, then you'll need to use both
define(ALIASES, /etc/aliases)
define(NIS_MAILALIASES)

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910

rob@planet.bt.co.uk (Richard O'Brien) (09/17/90)

From article <1889@infbs.UUCP>, by neitzel@infbs.uucp (Martin Neitzel):

> I have no success with YP aliases on an Ethernet with both a VAX and a
> SUN.  The YP mail aliases are defined on the VAX (running Ultrix), and
> "ypcat aliases" works fine on the Sun.  The Sun runs the standard
> sendmail from its 4.0.3 OS.
>
> According to the docs it should look up aliases first in/etc/aliases
> and then in the YP.  However, the Sun doesn't recognize any of the YP
> aliases.
>
> * Any hints?

I had the same problem about a year ago. Following a considerable amount of
assistance from Chris Gerhard (Sun UK support), a bug was found and corrected
in Sun's Sendmail. I believe this was a local (unofficial) fix at the time, but
has since been officially corrected for the V4.1 Sendmail. I seem to remember
it being associated with leading spaces at the front of the YP aliases.

Hope this is of use.
Richard.

+  Richard O'Brien 			RT7431			       +
+  PHONE: +44 473 646755		British Telecom Research Labs  +
+  EMAIL: robrien@planet.bt.co.uk 	Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, UK. +

dan@asihub.autosys.com (Dan O'Neill) (09/17/90)

In article <1889@infbs.UUCP> neitzel@infbs.uucp writes:

>I have no success with YP aliases on an Ethernet with both a VAX and a
>SUN.  The YP mail aliases are defined on the VAX (running Ultrix), and
>"ypcat aliases" works fine on the Sun.  The Sun runs the standard
>sendmail from its 4.0.3 OS.
>
>* Any hints?
>						Martin Neitzel

Sun Sendmail does not recognize YP aliases that are served by an
Ultrix system.  Here is a copy of the official bug report from Sun.

 Bug Id:     1030087
 Product:  sunos
 Category:  utility
 Subcategory:  sendmail
 Release summary: 4.1, 4.0.3
 Bug/Rfe:  bug
 State:  dispatched
 Synopsis:  sendmail yp aliasing does not work with non sun yp masters
	Set up a yp domain with a ultrix yp master and a yp alias map
	create a valid alias entry in the mail.aliases map eg.

	ypmatch plap mail.aliases
	plap@flash

	now use mail to resolve the address:-

	/usr/lib/sendmail -d27.1 -bv plap
	Version 4.0
	alias(plap)
	Yellow pages domain is watchmoor.UK.Sun.COM
	plap... User unknown
	alias(gerhard)
	gerhard maps to         chris.gerhard
	gerhard (, gerhard) aliased to  chris.gerhard
	alias(chris.gerhard)
	chris.gerhard maps to   gerhard@flash
	chris.gerhard (, chris.gerhard) aliased to      gerhard@flash
	gerhard@flash... deliverable
 Work around:
	Use a sun as the yp master.
 Public Summary:
	Yp aliasing does not work with some non sun yp masters.
 Bug End:

Dan O'Neill                     Cadence Design Systems
dan@autosys.com                 San Diego, CA
{uunet|ncr-sd}!asihub!dan

dan@asihub.autosys.com (Dan O'Neill) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep17.103319.9262@planet.bt.co.uk> rob@planet.bt.co.uk writes:
>has since been officially corrected for the V4.1 Sendmail. I seem to remember
>it being associated with leading spaces at the front of the YP aliases.
>
>Hope this is of use.
>Richard.

As far as I can tell, this sendmail bug still exists under OS 4.1 and
according to  Sun USA support, this bug is not fixed.  It is a
"priority 2" bug.  If there is a fixed version of Sun's sendmail
around somewhere, I would certainly like a copy of it.

--

rob@planet.bt.co.uk (Richard O'Brien) (09/19/90)

From article <287@asihub.autosys.com>, by dan@asihub.autosys.com (Dan O'Neill):
> In article <1990Sep17.103319.9262@planet.bt.co.uk> rob@planet.bt.co.uk writes:
>>has since been officially corrected for the V4.1 Sendmail. I seem to remember
>>it being associated with leading spaces at the front of the YP aliases.
>>
>>Hope this is of use.
>>Richard.
>
> As far as I can tell, this sendmail bug still exists under OS 4.1 and
> according to  Sun USA support, this bug is not fixed.  It is a
> "priority 2" bug.  If there is a fixed version of Sun's sendmail
> around somewhere, I would certainly like a copy of it.
>

> --
> Dan O'Neill                     Cadence Design Systems
> dan@autosys.com                 San Diego, CA
> {uunet|ncr-sd}!asihub!dan

Copyright and other laws prevent me from copying the bug fixed sendmail that
I have recieved. My point of contact in Sun to get this fixed was Chris Gerhard,
and can be reached by E-mail. (chris.gerhard@sun.co.uk).

I cannot recall the bug report number, but believe that it was fixed by the
states early in July. Please note the version released with SunOS 4.1 has the
YP bug in it.