[comp.mail.sendmail] Novice sendmail configuration questions

dave@dms3b1.uucp (Dave Hanna) (09/20/90)

We have just established modem connections to the outside world
for our network of Sun SparcStations, and I'm having fits understanding
how to get the sendmail.cf file configured to behave the
way I want it.

I know the questions that I am going to ask are probably really
trivial to the readers of this group, so if someone can just
point me to better documentation, I'd appreciate it.  I've poured
over the the Sendmail chapter of the Sys Admin's guide  until
I'm blue in the face.

Configuration:  SparcStation 1 and a Solbourne, each running
SunOs 4.0.3c, connected by ethernet.  Assorted PC's hung on
the net as well, and soon to be a few IPC's.

Our domainname is "ataritx.atari.COM"  (We are one site within
Atari US Corp.)  First, is that domainname appropriate, and second,
what do we need to do to "register" it, or whatever, so that
other sites will recognize it and the mapping software won't
complain.

Second, how do I keep the hostname of the individual host that is running
the modem connection from being recognized as the uucp name of our
system.  I.e.,  I want our system to be known as ataritx.atari.COM,
not dal2.UUCP.

Thirdly, how do I link pathalias files into the sendmail configuration
so that it will expand non-neighbor addresses properly.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

     Dave Hanna

--
Dave Hanna,  Infotouch Systems, Inc. |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

In article <1990Sep20.035159.13777@dms3b1.uucp> dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) writes:
>We have just established modem connections to the outside world
>for our network of Sun SparcStations, and I'm having fits understanding
>how to get the sendmail.cf file configured to behave the
>way I want it.
>
>Our domainname is "ataritx.atari.COM"  (We are one site within
>Atari US Corp.)  First, is that domainname appropriate, and second,
>what do we need to do to "register" it, or whatever, so that

 Contact <hostmaster@nic.ddn.mil>, or ask uunet to handle the registration
details for you.  You will need someone to carry your domain info in their
name server.  uunet will also arrange that.

>Second, how do I keep the hostname of the individual host that is running
>the modem connection from being recognized as the uucp name of our
>system.  I.e.,  I want our system to be known as ataritx.atari.COM,
>not dal2.UUCP.

  On your Sun system, use 'sendmail.main.cf' as your 'sendmail.cf' file,
and look at the internal comments.  You define 'smartuucp' as your relay
mailer, and identify one of your UUCP neighbors as a relay host.  Better
discuss this with the UUCP neighbor first, for they will need to modify
their sendmail.cf so that all mail to 'ataritx.atari.COM' is forwarded to
you over the UUCP link.

>Thirdly, how do I link pathalias files into the sendmail configuration
>so that it will expand non-neighbor addresses properly.

 If you want to do this, you will have to scrap all of the Sun supplied
sendmail stuff, and pick up sendmail-5.64+IDA.  The IDA mods allow this.

 But perhaps you need more experience with sendmail first, so I think you
should postpone this for a while.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115.                                  +1-815-753-6940

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (09/20/90)

Q>Thirdly, how do I link pathalias files into the sendmail configuration
Q>so that it will expand non-neighbor addresses properly.

A> If you want to do this, you will have to scrap all of the Sun supplied
A>sendmail stuff, and pick up sendmail-5.64+IDA.  The IDA mods allow this.

Gross overkill.  Run a stock sendmail, and let smail2.5 do all UUCP
transport work.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

jstewart@ccs.carleton.ca (John Stewart) (09/22/90)

Q>Thirdly, how do I link pathalias files into the sendmail configuration
Q>so that it will expand non-neighbor addresses properly.

I provide the pathalias data to sendmail via an NIS (Yellow Pages) map.
Of course it requires some sendmail configuration hacking to utilize the
pathalias map.
--
Bring back the stubby beer bottle!