[comp.mail.sendmail] US Domain/Sendmail

jls2@spdcc.COM (Jeff Stoner) (08/11/90)

I'm working with a sendmail setup on a DECstation 3100 with Ultrix directly
on the Internet, getting the kinks taken care of. Most everything works,
except the new geographic-domain-based machines.

How can I get sites like "well.sf.ca.us" and "mtdiablo.concord.ca.us"
to be recognized? In these two specific cases, I know they are machines
that are "one hop off" Internet, with UUCP connections to the net, so
not getting a response from "nslookup" isn't surprising... However, they
have MX records on their Internet hosts.

In a sense, what I'm asking is more general: how can I get my sendmail
to correctly know where to deliver mail for machines that only exist
as MX records on Internet (they're "just off" Internet)?

--
====== Jeff L. Stoner === Boulder, Colo. ============ /\ = /\ ========== |
   Work: jls2 @ ellery.esi.com                   /\  /  \ /  /\  /\    --*--

In article <3572@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> jls2@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Jeff Stoner) writes:
>In a sense, what I'm asking is more general: how can I get my sendmail
>to correctly know where to deliver mail for machines that only exist
>as MX records on Internet (they're "just off" Internet)?

 This question keeps coming up.

 The answer is simple.  You need a version of sendmail which can read MX
records.  Many systems come with both 'sendmail' and 'sendmail.mx'.  If
you have both, then: mv sendmail sendmail.nonmx;ln sendmail.mx sendmail

 If you don't have a version which reads MX records, get one.  They are
available on many ftp sites.  If you are inexperienced and don't want to
try this just yet, configure your 'sendmail' to forward most mail to a
host which can read MX records and deliver the mail for you.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115.                                  +1-815-753-6940