[comp.mail.sendmail] Why does sendmail -bt lie?

petej@ssg0.pharmacia.com (Peter M. Jansson) (09/21/90)

We are connected to two sites, one of which is uunet, through which I
route my outbound mail by default.  I was trying to force use of the
other connection by sending mail to:

	foo!bar.com!someone

where foo is the other connection.  The message was queued for uunet,
to be sent to "bar.com.UUCP!someone", which is *not* what I expected.
To try to figure out what is going on, I tried invoking sendmail with
-bt, and fed it "0 foo!bar.com!someone", to which it replied:

> rewrite: ruleset  3   input: "foo" "!" "bar" "." "com" "!" "someone"
> rewrite: ruleset  8   input: "foo" "!" "bar" "." "com" "!" "someone"
> rewrite: ruleset  8 returns: "foo" "!" "bar" "." "com" "!" "someone"
> rewrite: ruleset  3 returns: "bar" "." "com" "!" "someone" "<" "@" "foo" "." "UUCP" ">"
> rewrite: ruleset  0   input: "bar" "." "com" "!" "someone" "<" "@" "foo" "." "UUCP" ">"
> rewrite: ruleset  6   input: "bar" "." "com" "!" "someone" "<" "@" "foo" "." "UUCP" ">"
> rewrite: ruleset  6 returns: "bar" "." "com" "!" "someone" "<" "@" "foo" "." "UUCP" ">"
> rewrite: ruleset  0 returns: "$#" "uucp" "$@" "foo" "$:" "bar" "." "com" "!" "someone"

This looks like exactly what I want it to do.  Why isn't sendmail
actually queueing the mail the way -bt indicates?  Replies via e-mail
are welcome (the inbound side works fine!).

Thanks for any help,

	Pete.

petej@ssg0.pharmacia.com (Peter M. Jansson) (09/25/90)

In article <270@ssg0.pharmacia.com> petej@pharmacia.com (Peter M. Jansson) writes:
> (...my mail isn't going where sendmail -bt says it is)

I've been getting several messages to the effect of "Restart sendmail,
since it doesn't reread the config file automagically."  First,
thanks to all of you sending those messages; I appreciate your trying.
Second, I haven't touched my sendmail.cf since the last reboot.  Can
anyone suggest something else?

Again, thanks for the replies so far.

	Pete.

petej@ssg0.pharmacia.com (Peter M. Jansson) (09/25/90)

Of course, it doesn't.  Now, thanks to a suggestion by Neil Rickert, I
found the problem.  We run Intel's System V/386 r3.2 here, and I usually
use the mailx UA.  I had set "conv=internet" in my ~/.mailrc, which was
causing the problem.  When I removed the offending line, my problems ended.
There was no problem with sendmail; just cockpit error on my part in
configuring my ~/.mailrc.  Thanks for the help all, and especially Neil.

	Pete. (sheepishly)