[comp.mail.sendmail] sendmail confused after host name change

mark@DRD.Com (Mark Lawrence) (09/26/90)

I recently had occasion to change the name of the Sun3/60 (running
4.0.3) on my desk.  It used to be known as 'rtd' and now is known as
'cielo'.  The machine seems to understand what its new name is to the
point of networking and so on; e.g.:

362 cielo:/home/cielo/mark% uuname -l
cielo
363 cielo:/home/cielo/mark% hostname
cielo

The trouble is, sendmail seems to think it still is 'rtd'; witness:
51 drd:/home/cielo/mark% telnet cielo 25
Trying 192.54.114.6 ...
Connected to cielo.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 rtd Sendmail 4.0/SMI-4.0 ready at Wed, 26 Sep 90 08:13:02 CDT
helo
250 rtd Hello  (drd), pleased to meet you
quit
221 rtd closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

(drd is our mail gateway.  All mail is delivered on drd whose
/var/spool/mail is exported to the net.  However, every once in a while,
I get mail to <mark@cielo> which must be resolved by the sendmail on
cielo and fowarded back to mailhost for delivery).

I've grepped for rtd in the sendmail.cf and in all the /etc/rc.* files.
No joy.  Finally, in preparation for posting this note, I went to check
on the sendmail.cf file (for permissions and so forth), did a ls /etc/send*
and came up with: /etc/sendmail.cf /etc/sendmail.fc

"Ooooohhhh", I say, "How did *that* get there".  A 'strings /etc/sendmail.fc |
grep rtd' confirmed my suspicion.

This newsgroup is a great help even *before* I get an article posted.  :-}
--
mark@DRD.Com uunet!apctrc!drd!mark$B!J%^!<%/!!!&%m!<%l%s%9!K(B

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (09/27/90)

mark@DRD.Com (Mark Lawrence) writes:

>I've grepped for rtd in the sendmail.cf and in all the /etc/rc.* files.
>No joy.  Finally, in preparation for posting this note, I went to check
>on the sendmail.cf file (for permissions and so forth), did a ls /etc/send*
>and came up with: /etc/sendmail.cf /etc/sendmail.fc
>
>"Ooooohhhh", I say, "How did *that* get there".  A 'strings /etc/sendmail.fc |
>grep rtd' confirmed my suspicion.

You have a choice and it's not Death or Chi-chi:

1) remove sendmail.fc
2) re-freeze it with the command "/usr/lib/sendmail -bz"

Then kill and re-start the daemon process.

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910