[comp.mail.sendmail] NOT routing thru DOMAIN.ORG?

jsd@esl.ESL.COM (Jeff Dalton) (09/26/90)

Is there a straight forward way of making sendmail know of the following
line in /etc/hosts:

1.2.3.4     nodename      nodename.DOMAIN.ORG

and consequently sending mail addressed to nodename.DOMAIN.ORG directly
to nodename and not go thru unnecessary nodes like DOMAIN.ORG?

The real problem is that the majority of our traffic is between local
nodes (ie. in /etc/hosts and on a reliable network), but we still need
to be part of the DOMAIN.ORG for remote mail.  The network to DOMAIN.ORG
is "less than reliable", so we don't want our local traffic depending
on it.

$uname -a
HP-UX jade 7.0 B 9000/360 jade

--
Jeff Dalton, ESL Inc.                    Real programmers can write
jsd@esl.com                                 Fortran in any language.

bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM (Bruce Lilly) (09/27/90)

In article <333@esl.ESL.COM> jsd@bambam.UUCP (Jeff Dalton) writes:
>Is there a straight forward way of ...
>... sending mail addressed to nodename.DOMAIN.ORG directly
>to nodename and not go thru unnecessary nodes like DOMAIN.ORG?

Easy.  Strip off DOMAIN.ORG ($D) early in ruleset 0 (where doing so
won't affect the headers) and then recognize the locally
accessible hosts and send via smtp (or whatever you're using) --
i.e. resolve in ruleset 0:

R$*<@$=E>$*	$#smtp$@$2$:$1$3

alternatively you could use:
R$*<@$=E.$D>$*		$#smtp$@$2$:$1$3

assuming class E has been defined to include all of the locally
known hosts. e.g.:

# skip comments, accept multiple entries/line; (space through tilde plus tab)
FE/etc/hosts %[^#]%*[ -~	]

--
    Bruce Lilly, Product Manager,        | bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM
    Digital Television Tape Recording,   | uunet!{sonyusa,vmp}!sonyd1!bruce

schoch@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Steve Schoch) (09/28/90)

In article <333@esl.ESL.COM>, jsd@esl.ESL.COM (Jeff Dalton) writes:
|> and consequently sending mail addressed to nodename.DOMAIN.ORG directly
|> to nodename and not go thru unnecessary nodes like DOMAIN.ORG?

Yes, you can do this in ruleset 0.

You probably have something like this:

DRmailhost
R$*<@$+.$+>$*	$#mailer$@$R$:$1<@$2.$3>$4	route mail through $R

To route the mail directly make sure you have your domain defined:

DDDOMAIN.ORG

and put this line before the rule above

This will send such mail directly to nodename.DOMAIN.ORG without going
through mailhost.

	Steve