[net.games.trivia] Toys of Youth

sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) (06/21/85)

Does anyone remember a ball that had a bunch of spikes on it. As I
remember these spikes were used to grab, and throw the ball. You
also tried to catch the ball using the spikes. The ball was about
the size of a large melon, I believe. I told some one about this and
they just thought I was strange. Please tell me if anyone remebers
it. It may have even been a Nerf product.

And while we're on subject, does anyone remember Wheel-O from
Wham-O. This toy was simple, yet fun. My inlaws have one of these
toys, and I just can't put it down. The little magnetic wheel has
me captured. I'm a Wheel-0-holic.

			Scott 'The Wheel' Stewart
			LMSC - Sunnyvale

sorensen@amdcad.UUCP (Sorensen David) (06/23/85)

In article <483@leadsv.UUCP>, sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) writes:
> Does anyone remember a ball that had a bunch of spikes on it. As I
> remember these spikes were used to grab, and throw the ball. You
> also tried to catch the ball using the spikes. The ball was about
> the size of a large melon, I believe. I told some one about this and
> they just thought I was strange. Please tell me if anyone remebers
> it. It may have even been a Nerf product.

The toy was called "Red-Eye", and had one of its spikes colored red.
As I remember, the object of the game was to throw and catch the toy,
avoiding the red spike.  I can't recall who made it, though.

	    -- Tim Olson

alan@cae780.UUCP (Alan M. Steinberg) (06/24/85)

In article <483@leadsv.UUCP> sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) writes:
>Does anyone remember a ball that had a bunch of spikes on it. As I
>remember these spikes were used to grab, and throw the ball. You
>also tried to catch the ball using the spikes.

Boy, this newsgroup taxes the memory.  The "ball" was called "Red-Eye."
It was a yellow rubber ball with rubber spikes, in case anyone gets
any strange ideas about playing with maces.  It had 2 red spikes on
it, with the rest being yellow.  The object of the game was to catch
the ball by grabbing onto the red spike.
--

                             Alan Steinberg
                             {ucbvax}!decwrl!amdcad!cae780!alan

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred..." -- Super Chicken

allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (Allyn Fratkin) (07/01/85)

In article <483@leadsv.UUCP>, sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) asked:
> And while we're on subject, does anyone remember Wheel-O from
> Wham-O?

Doesn't Wham-O still make Wheel-Os?  I seem to recall seeing one very
recently.

--
 From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin            allyn@UCSD.ARPA           or
                          UCSD EMU/Pascal Project  {ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}

 "Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance."