[comp.mail.sendmail] Where to get copies of RFC's? --> nic.ddn.mil

huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.161631.522@ataritx.uucp>, dwh@ataritx.uucp writes:
> Simple question - where can one obtain copies of various RFC documents,
> and at what cost?  RFC's 819,882, 883,973,974 are the ones of
> interest at the moment.

Dave,

I might be wrong about this (and if I am, please advise), but these
have been available via ftp at nic.ddn.mil.  They might also be
available at wuarchive.wustl.edu or simtel20.edu.

Steve
Steve Huff, MBA student, University of Kansas  	  HomeNet: 913 749 4720
Internet:  HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu   	          Bitnet: HUFF@Ukanvax.Bitnet
Send_at_your_own_risk_net:  P.O. Box 1225, Lawrence, KS  66044-8225

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (10/17/90)

[In article <26169.271b8651@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>,
     huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes ... ]

> In article <1990Oct16.161631.522@ataritx.uucp>, dwh@ataritx.uucp writes:
>> Simple question - where can one obtain copies of various RFC documents,
>> and at what cost?  RFC's 819,882, 883,973,974 are the ones of
>> interest at the moment.
>
> Dave,
>
> I might be wrong about this (and if I am, please advise), but these
> have been available via ftp at nic.ddn.mil.  They might also be
> available at wuarchive.wustl.edu or simtel20.edu.

This is a good opportunity for a reminder that most UUCP sites, indeed
most sites handling E-mail, are not on the Internet and cannot use FTP.
Even the existence of a fully qualified domain name does not indicate that
a site is on the Internet.

The Internet RFCs and other interesting documents can be fetched by mail
from info-server@nnsc.nsf.net or info-server@sh.cs.net. I sent Dave the
details last night. The methods are described in a regularly monthly
posting to news.admin and news.announce.newusers entitled ``How to Get
Information about Networks.''

For the truly desperate, there are ways to use FTP by mail. BITFTP@
PUCC.BITNET is a software robot that will log into an Internet site that
allows anonymous FTP, fetch files or directories, and mail the (uuencoded)
results to the requester. It is a little bit like driving on the freeway
blindfolded, though.

 --
 Steve Yelvington up at the lake in Minnesota
 The easy way: steve@thelake.mn.org

piet@cwi.nl (Piet Beertema) (10/18/90)

	>This is a good opportunity for a reminder that most UUCP sites, indeed
	>most sites handling E-mail, are not on the Internet and cannot use FTP.
	>Even the existence of a fully qualified domain name does not indicate that
	>a site is on the Internet.
	>
	>The Internet RFCs and other interesting documents can be fetched by mail
	>from info-server@nnsc.nsf.net or info-server@sh.cs.net.

And this is a good opportunity for a reminder that there are
numerous [uucp] hosts outside the USA. If EUnet sites (i.e.
in Europe) would blindly follow advices like the above, it
would cause unnecessary load on those info-servers and also
(and especially) on the transatlantic links. Both ftp and
info-server sites exist over here. EUnet sites should contact
their national backbone sites for details.

--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam	(piet@cwi.nl)