[comp.mail.sendmail] Changing System Default Mail Box Location??

petej@itcode.Eng.Sun.COM (Pete Jolly) (10/23/90)

I am having problems getting a users default mailbox
changed.  His system mailbox is located on the
/var/spool/mail directory and due to the amount of mail
he is getting, he would rather have it located on another
partition.  I tried to set the MAIL variable in his .mailrc
file and that works okay for reading mail but sendmail still
insists on putting received mail in /var/spool/mail/username.
I have been looking through the sendmail documentation to look
for an obvious way to change this but have not had any luck.

Anyone with any ideas out there??

Pete J.
Mountain View, Ca.

andy@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andy S Poling) (10/26/90)

In article <144053@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> petej@itcode.Eng.Sun.COM (Pete Jolly) writes:
>I am having problems getting a users default mailbox
>changed.  His system mailbox is located on the
>/var/spool/mail directory and due to the amount of mail
>he is getting, he would rather have it located on another
>partition.  I tried to set the MAIL variable in his .mailrc
>file and that works okay for reading mail but sendmail still
>insists on putting received mail in /var/spool/mail/username.
>I have been looking through the sendmail documentation to look
>for an obvious way to change this but have not had any luck.
>
>Anyone with any ideas out there??

Just put an alias for that user in /usr/lib/aliases like the following:

username: /other/partition/user-home-directory/mailbox

-Andy

--
Andy Poling                              Internet: andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
UNIX Systems Programmer                  Bitnet: ANDY@JHUNIX