[comp.mail.sendmail] HELP ME OUT....

tcchao@watcsc.waterloo.edu (T C Chao) (10/27/90)

Could someone out there help me out with this simple question?

Q: When you send email to someone else, you often have to type
   "@" or "!" or "%" key between the dosite names, domain names...
   Would somebody give me a full description of "@", "!" & "%"
   and give me some useful examples.

Thank you very much

(I apologize if I had posted up in a wrong newsgroup)

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (10/29/90)

In article <1990Oct27.010347.13485@watcsc.waterloo.edu> tcchao@watcsc.waterloo.edu (T C Chao) writes:

>Could someone out there help me out with this simple question?
>
>Q: When you send email to someone else, you often have to type
>   "@" or "!" or "%" key between the dosite names, domain names...
>   Would somebody give me a full description of "@", "!" & "%"
>   and give me some useful examples.

	@ - stands for "at" such as "user@host.domain".

	! - addresses including these are usually called "bang-paths,"
	    "bang," since the exclamation point is typically prounouced "bang,"
	    and the "path" part comes from the fact that such addresses
	    specify an explicit route for the message to take from
	    machine to machine to reach its destination.  Thus,
	    "uunet!mailrus!umich!caen!b-tech!m-net!stealth" would
	    hand a message from machine "uunet" to "mailrus", and from there
	    down the path until it gets to "m-net!stealth" -- my mailbox
	    on M-net.

	% - sort of a reverse bang, in a way...  The address in the
	    previous example could be rewritten as
	    "stealth%m-net%b-tech%caen%umich%mailrus@uunet.uu.net".
	    When the message reaches uunet, the "@uunet.uu.net" would
	    be removed and the @ sign would be moved to the leftmost
	    % sign, the resulting address processed, and the message
	    sent along.  The same thing would happen at each stage,
	    until b-tech has a message to "stealth@m-net", which it
	    could then deliver to M-net, and thus it would end up in
	    my mailbox there.

Hope that helps...
--
	Mike Pelletier - Usenet News Admin & Programmer
"Wind, waves, etc. are breakdowns in the face of the commitment to getting

mathisen@dali.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (10/29/90)

In article <1990Oct28.210632.26119@engin.umich.edu> stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
>	    be removed and the @ sign would be moved to the leftmost

							    ^^^^^^^^

						shoule be   rightmost

piet@cwi.nl (Piet Beertema) (10/30/90)

	>	% - sort of a reverse bang, in a way...  The address in the
	>	    previous example could be rewritten as
	>	    "stealth%m-net%b-tech%caen%umich%mailrus@uunet.uu.net".
That may be true in some places, but not in others.
Since the %-part in user%localhost@yourdomain often
is a locally meaningful entity, there are mailers
around that try to preserve it when rewriting such
addresses to !-style (yourdomain!user%localhost),
since that's the only way to rewrite it from @-style
to !-style *and* vice versa without loss of information.

Please note that this is meant to present facts, not
a call for discussion.

--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam	(piet@cwi.nl)

wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct28.210632.26119@engin.umich.edu> stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:

>	% - sort of a reverse bang, in a way...  The address in the
>	    previous example could be rewritten as
>	    "stealth%m-net%b-tech%caen%umich%mailrus@uunet.uu.net".
>	    When the message reaches uunet, the "@uunet.uu.net" would
>	    be removed and the @ sign would be moved to the leftmost
>	    % sign, the resulting address processed, and the message
>	    sent along.  The same thing would happen at each stage,
>	    until b-tech has a message to "stealth@m-net", which it
>	    could then deliver to M-net, and thus it would end up in
>	    my mailbox there.

What you describe is what I understand is supposed to happen. However
there are a bunch of sites out there where "%" gets translated into
actual "!", so that the above path becomes "stealth!m-net!b-tech..."
which is wrong.

The mailer at the Austrian backbone refuses to send mail to any
bang path where it cannot identify all sites specified in it,
so I tried to send mail to an unmapped site as

  user%unmapped_site@their_mapped_feed.somename.com

which got translated to

  user!unmapped_site@their_mapped_feed.somename.com

which the mailer at their_mapped_feed interpreted as

  user@their_mapped_feed.somename.com

and promptly rejected, since "user" did not have an account on their
system.
--
Wolf N. Paul, UNIX SysAdmin, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa!wnp