[comp.mail.sendmail] Ultrix sendmail.cf quesion

leach@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Gregory E Leach) (11/04/90)

We have an "out of the box" sendmail.cf for ultrix.

The problem is that mail to leach@zeus.franklin.edu gets through fine,
but if the hostname is left off the mail is returned as undeliverable.
ie
	leach@franklin.edu
is returned with the message " I refuse to talk to myself " or somethng
similar.

All that I have done is define the D macro as franklin.edu

our hostname is zeus.franklin.edu
and its aliased as  zeus zeus.franklin.edu franklin.edu in /etc/hosts

I have talked to digital, but so far there has been no solution.

Thanks,
Greg Leach

osyjm@caesar.cs.montana.edu (11/05/90)

In article <9011040412.AA06392@iguana.cis.ohio-state.edu> leach@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Gregory E Leach) writes:
>The problem is that mail to leach@zeus.franklin.edu gets through fine,
>but if the hostname is left off the mail is returned as undeliverable.
>ie
>	leach@franklin.edu
>is returned with the message " I refuse to talk to myself " or somethng
>similar.

We added a line (the one after "make user@cs...") to ours, and with the
proper MX record, it's working fine (ultrix 4.0, VAX).  this is in Rule 0,
machine dependent part.

# short circuit local hosts

#make user@cs.montana.edu be an acceptable address
R$*<@$D>$*              $1$2

jch@dyfed.rdg.dec.com (John Haxby) (11/07/90)

In article <9011040412.AA06392@iguana.cis.ohio-state.edu>, leach@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Gregory E Leach) writes:

|> We have an "out of the box" sendmail.cf for ultrix.
|>
|> The problem is that mail to leach@zeus.franklin.edu gets through fine,
|> but if the hostname is left off the mail is returned as undeliverable.
|> ie
|> 	leach@franklin.edu
|> is returned with the message " I refuse to talk to myself " or somethng
|> similar.

With the standard ULTRIX, the usual cause of this is not refreezing the
config file or not restarting sendmail or both.

You should also be aware that the default value of $w is the
*unqualified* hostname, which is wrong, but livable with: you can define
it explicitly to be the FQDN.  At this point, however, you may discover
that the config file has some interesting and naive viewpoints about
FQDNs.
John Haxby, Definitively Wrong.
Digital				<jch@wessex.rdg.dec.com>
Reading, England		<...!ukc!wessex!jch>

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov6.174059.7522@hollie.rdg.dec.com> jch@dyfed.rdg.dec.com (John Haxby) writes:

>With the standard ULTRIX, the usual cause of this is not refreezing the
>config file or not restarting sendmail or both.

	I've made a fool of myself a few times by freezing the config file
in single-user mode, when the hostname hasn't been set yet. That way you have
a compiled in null hostname, and get lots of errors.

mjr.