[comp.mail.sendmail] stand alone connection

skuip@sunserver.relay.nswc.navy.mil (S Kuiper (N31)) (11/15/90)

Does anyone have a suggestion for connecting a stand alone Sun for
recieving/sending email while
adhering to a budget that does not allow for connection to Internet?
I'm new at this sort of
thing and was fortunate enough to have inherited the capability myself.
But business dictates
that I need to communicate with a remote site without the capability.
If we got them a modem,
what would be the easiest path to fallow?

Thanx for any suggestion / please excuse the ignorance.

S. J. Kuiper
skuip@sunserver.relay.nswc.navy.mil  (128.38.35.13)

rbv@cypress.UUCP (Roger Vanderveen) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov14.141927@sunserver.relay.nswc.navy.mil> skuip@sunserver.relay.nswc.navy.mil (S Kuiper (N31)) writes:

>Does anyone have a suggestion for connecting a stand alone Sun for
>recieving/sending email while
>adhering to a budget that does not allow for connection to Internet?

Sounds like what you want is UUCP.  It is cheap and relatively slow, depending
on how it's configured, but it works fine for e-mail and news.  And the only
extra hardware you need is a modem.

UUCP software is built into SunOS.  See the networking manual for some
information.  Get the Nutshell book "Managing uucp and Usenet" for some more,
and tune into comp.mail.uucp.
Roger Vanderveen                                    rbv@cypress.UUCP or
San Jose, CA USA                                    rbv%cypress@daver.bungi.com