[comp.mail.sendmail] When to reverse domain addresses?

jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (John Forrest) (11/16/90)

Neil Rickert has very kindly done some mods to the IDA cf file for me. The aim of
this was to be able to conditionally reverse incomming mail addresses if required
[remember, traditionally in the UK we do this backwards]. As an example, our
relay might send us local names looking like "jf@uk.ac.umist.co.ap" which we
reverse to give "jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk". I suggested two specifications to him
(depending on the required functionality locally).

	Spec 1 - Cope with incomming mail with reversed names.

	It after looking up the name in the various forms, the last
	element of the address is not a "top domain" (in CT?), and the
	first element of the address (after @) is, reverse and try
	again.

	Spec 2 - Allow local users to type mail reversed addresses.

	If after looking up the name in the various forms, the last
	element is not a "top domain", reverse and try again.

He has implemented Spec 1, explaining that Spec 2 requires non-trivial
modifications. We have so far not used the mods in anger, but they have worked in
testing (both in -bt mode, and sample outgoing mail). However, we have suddenly
realised that the function described is flawed, for the reasons several people
here are finding out. Basically, consider:

	uk.ac.ucl.cs

If we had this as an incomming mail, we would interpret this as being somewhere
in Czechoslovakia, not as Computer Science at University College, London. Note we
don't have direct access to the Internet, and our local name server contains (or
will soon contain):

*.cs.	MX 0 ......

so we just assume anything in "cs." is to be relayed. Has anyone got a better
algorithm that the above - really to detect whether the name is valid. The only
things I can think of are:

	1) Hardwire all the problem cases in one of the databases.
	2) Let's give up sending reversed addresses around the UK. (please?)

John Forrest
Dept of Computation
UMIST.

iiitsh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) (11/19/90)

>so we just assume anything in "cs." is to be relayed. Has anyone got a better
>algorithm that the above - really to detect whether the name is valid. The only
>things I can think of are:
>
>	1) Hardwire all the problem cases in one of the databases.
>	2) Let's give up sending reversed addresses around the UK. (please?)

As my old computer science tutor used to say: Option 1 (above) is rather
like walking along the road and finding that because you've got one foot
in the gutter and the other on the walkway, that you're going up and down
with every step. You examine the situation and decide to strap a block of
wood under the foot that's in the gutter so that you can walk level again.

This stinks! Why don't we just scrub the stupid system? The amount of
time I spend hot-wiring addresses to get them through, and explaining
the system to others.

Support option 2 (above) now! Surely no-one would object if we (JANET)
did this?

Steve                                             |  WALES: "Land of Song
iiitsh@pyr.swan.ac.uk                             |   and Rugby^H^H^H^H^H
..or in Britain, where we drive on the other side:|    Ice Hockey"
iiitsh@uk.ac.swan.pyr                             |

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (11/19/90)

I have this neurotic compulsion to keep beating on a dead horse:

If the people running the UK e-mail and news gateways were to obtain
the top-level internet domain
	.GB
and simply encapsulate their internal hostnames such as
	uk.ac.ucl.cs
within that domain when the mail crossed the gateway, they'd not only
solve the ordering problem, but also bring their domain in conformance
with the ISO country codes.

Thus
	jon@uk.ac.ucl.cs
inside the UK would cross the mail gateway and appear everywhere else in
the world as
	jon@uk.ac.ucl.cs.gb
and when it was replied to, the mail would simply to those mail gateways
MX'd for *.gb, and they'd strip off the .gb, and there you have it.

Is this doomed to failure because it's too simple and easy?

	Brian Kantor
		UCSD Network Operations
		brian@ucsd.edu	BRIAN@UCSD ucsd!brian

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (11/19/90)

In article <23165@ucsd.Edu> brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:

[ method for solving uk.* deleted ]

> Is this doomed to failure because it's too simple and easy?

What about  poor old UUCP sites running smail 2.5 ?
And what would I put in my netnews headers ?  The same as now ?  Reversed
but with .gb tacked on the end ?  How do I reply to other UK sites ?

There are *lots* of people under .UK who don't have the capability of
understanding reversed names.  Lots of people don't have time to diddle
with the vendor-supplied sendmail.cf, and there are good reasons not
to go with uk-sendmail, like perhaps not liking reversed addresses ?

After all, remember, only the campus mail gateway which talks to JANET
needs to do domain reversal.  I know *academic* sites which operate
internally ONLY in the correct domain order, and lets the mail gateway
reverse it *just* before it hits JANET.  Of course, if the other end
did exactly the same, no one would notice that there were any domain
reversals going on at all.  This is a *much* better solution.  Sure,
it affects all the users in a very visible way, but at least they'll
be warned, instead of just puzzled when their top secret defense-related
mail to cs.ucl.ac.uk ends up behind the iron curtain :-)

Domain reversed names at a user-visible level is a *bug waiting to happen*.
Not all academic sites allow them.  The correct fix is for ALL of them
to do likewise.  No change in JANET software is needed -- that bit only
takes reversed addresses.  Yes, the user level code for non-UNIX systems
will have to change, but that can be gradual.  You'll be surprised
how easy to teach new users that "that machine over there uses reversed
names, and this one here uses sane ones".  Old users, well, that's
the sort of problem that needs "transition relief" in the form of
extra support staff to take the strain of being shouted at :-)

If one JANET site can do it (I know at least one does) why can't they all?
--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (John Forrest) (11/19/90)

In article <23165@ucsd.Edu>, brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
|> I have this neurotic compulsion to keep beating on a dead horse:
|>
|> If the people running the UK e-mail and news gateways were to obtain
|> the top-level internet domain
|> 	.GB
|> and simply encapsulate their internal hostnames such as
|> 	uk.ac.ucl.cs
|> within that domain when the mail crossed the gateway, they'd not only
|> solve the ordering problem, but also bring their domain in conformance
|> with the ISO country codes.
|>
|> Thus
|> 	jon@uk.ac.ucl.cs
|> inside the UK would cross the mail gateway and appear everywhere else in
|> the world as
|> 	jon@uk.ac.ucl.cs.gb
|> and when it was replied to, the mail would simply to those mail gateways
|> MX'd for *.gb, and they'd strip off the .gb, and there you have it.
|>
|> Is this doomed to failure because it's too simple and easy?
|>
|> 	Brian Kantor
|> 		UCSD Network Operations
|> 		brian@ucsd.edu	BRIAN@UCSD ucsd!brian

I'll actually post up on this, although I was tempted to just ignore the silly
comment. As far as everyone here is concerned UK is our top domain, I don't know
where the ISO GB comes in - just safe to say that no-one uses it. It is worth
noting that Great Britain is not the same as the United Kingdom - although I
don't really want to get into a great argument on the politics of this (mainly
Irish related), we DO use the term United Kingdon here at lot, just as United
States of America is abbreviated to United States and US. Thus UK is a more
appropriate term that GB, and since it is already used, we should continue to do
so.

As for the comment about putting .gb on the end of grey-book, this breaks both
domain conventions and doesn't solve the problem! Basically, our mailers have
evolved to a situation where they try to be soft on which order the address is
given. This has worked up to now, but it is ceasing to work unambiguously. We, in
the UK, thus need to solve our little problem. There are many, I for one, who
seem to prefer abandoning the reverse notation, but while there are mailers who
send out the stuff, we will be stuck with this problem. It isn't a problem of the
rest of the world taking to us, so much as problems around the UK.

Talking of country codes, why isn't it brian@ucsd.edu.US ?

John Forrest
Dept of Computation
UMIST.