[comp.mail.sendmail] MIPS mail setup

hg1915@milton.u.washington.edu (Helen Gottschalk) (12/06/90)

  If this question has been talked on the net, please e-mail to me.

  We have several MIPSs running MIPSOS 4.51 and couples Interactives UNIX
system.  I have problem to send mail out from MIPS but no problem in
receiving it.  We don't run name server.  If I directly talk using SMTP
and it works fine.
  I use the tcpproto.cf in /usr/lib/cf/cf to build my sendmail.cf.  I tried
both sendmail and sendmail.nonamed.  Both parsing address ok and report
successful sending in the syslog.  But no mail is received on the other end.
no return mail either.

  Any suggestion ?

  Thanks in Advance.

cliff@ssg-mips-e.phys.ucalgary.ca (Cliff Marcellus) (12/06/90)

In article <12376@milton.u.washington.edu> hg1915@milton.u.washington.edu (Helen Gottschalk) writes:
>  We have several MIPSs running MIPSOS 4.51 and couples Interactives UNIX
>system.  I have problem to send mail out from MIPS but no problem in
>receiving it.  We don't run name server.  If I directly talk using SMTP
>and it works fine.

  Sound like you've not created /usr/lib/sendmail.ok.  Without it,
  the system won't use sendmail to delivermail.  just cp /dev/null
  into /usr/lib/sendmail.ok.  This should fix your problem.

--
Cliff Marcellus                       |  Internet : cliff@phys.ucalgary.ca
Department of Physics and Astronomy   |  SPAN     : CANCAL::CLIFF

hg1915@milton.u.washington.edu (Helen Gottschalk) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec6.144712.9010@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>, cliff@ssg-mips-e.phys.ucalgary.ca (Cliff Marcellus) writes:
> In article <12376@milton.u.washington.edu> hg1915@milton.u.washington.edu (Helen Gottschalk) writes:
>
>   Sound like you've not created /usr/lib/sendmail.ok.  Without it,
>   the system won't use sendmail to delivermail.  just cp /dev/null
>   into /usr/lib/sendmail.ok.  This should fix your problem.

    You are right. This does solve the problem to let mail use sendmail.
 My other problem is caused by using sendmail.named instead of sendmail.nonamed
 since I am not running name server.  Another fix need on my sendmail.cf.
 The address rules will rewrite 'host' to 'host.domain' and I didn't specify
 a domain name, so the host name become 'host.' and this is not found in the
 /etc/hosts (because of the extrat dot).  After I set up a domain name it
 works fine.

 Thanks for the help

  Jessie Chang