[comp.mail.sendmail] sdbm is available.

oz@nexus.YorkU.CA (Ozan Yigit) (12/14/90)

A complete clone of Berkeley's ndbm, called sdbm is available.
It is currently ftp-able from nexus.yorku.ca [130.63.9.1] as
pub/oz/sdbm.shar.Z.

points of interest:

+ A complete functional clone of ndbm, using a fast and simple external
  hashing algorithm: "Dynamic Hashing" (1978) by P.-A. Larson.

+ sdbm is fully public domain. There is no pedantic, overbearing or
  infectious copyright/left to put up with. It is unconditionally yours,
  and everybody-else's. You can do whatever you like with it.

+ sdbm is faster and safer than ndbm, but shares the same shortcomings:
  limited size records, holes. On the other hand, ndbm needs no apologies:
  it has proven itself to be extremely useful within its limitations. The
  sdbm pagefiles are smaller than ndbm, and contain fewer holes.

+ sdbm has some additional flexibility due to a more generic database
  setup routine which allows you to use application-specific database
  naming conventions. It also allows the replacement of the hash function.

+ sdbm uses the same pagefile format ndbm uses, and the distribution comes
  with some rudimentary (read: hacky) tools and routines that can process
  these pagefiles. Even if you choose not to use sdbm, you can still take
  advantage of this additional information about pagefiles.

+ sdbm is *not* database compatible with ndbm. This is due to the hash
  functions used in ndbm and sdbm, and to the order in which the page
  addresses are generated.

+ sdbm provides enough infrastructure for you to be able to experiment
  with other algorithms, especially the so-called "directory-less"
  external hashing algorithms: linear hashing, spiral storage etc. The
  code is [I think] clean, easy to understand and compatible.

I look forward to comments, suggestions, improvements.

enjoy...        oz
---
[NOTE to all beta users: the copyright that accompanied the beta release
is now dropped. Also, this distribution contains an important bugfix due
to Liam R Quin of SoftQuad. Please contact me if you have no FTP access.]
---
Where the stream runneth smoothest,   | Internet: oz@nexus.yorku.ca
the water is deepest.  - John Lyly    | UUCP: utzoo/utai!yunexus!oz

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (12/18/90)

My apologies to those of you who have been trying to get sdbm
through anon-ftp from Nexus. This machine has not been feeling well,
and has not been able to stay up more than an hour. We had to disable
anon-ftp while investigating the source of system crashes.

Until anon-ftp is back on line on nexus, I would appreciate the help
of any well connected ftp/uucp site for making this little package
available.  I will also try to e-mail the package whenever the system
is up :-|.

I also posted the package to alt.sources, but I have no idea if it
will make it to the outside world.

Again, my apologies for any inconvenience.

oz
---
Good design means less design. Design   | Internet: oz@nexus.yorku.ca
must serve users, not try to fool them. | UUCP: utzoo/utai!yunexus!oz
-- Dieter Rams, Chief Designer, Braun.  | phonet: 1+ 416 736 5257

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (12/18/90)

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) writes:

>Until anon-ftp is back on line on nexus, I would appreciate the help
>of any well connected ftp/uucp site for making this little package
>available.  I will also try to e-mail the package whenever the system
>is up :-|.

My but there sure a LOT of groups listed on that Newsgroups line.

Via anon-FTP only, uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:pub/sdbm.shar.Z .  Uxc is conveniently
located one offramp away from the NSFnet Interstate.

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (12/18/90)

I've put sdbm.shar.Z on decuac.dec.com for anonymous FTP as:
	~ftp/public/sources/sdbm.shar.Z

rw-r--r--  1 root    60425 Dec 17 17:22 /var/ftp/public/sources/sdbm.shar.Z
(sum ~ftp/public/sources/sdbm.shar.Z : 17568    60)

mjr.
--
	Great software results from careful analysis of real-world problems
and thoughtful examination of possible solutions. Obese software results from

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (12/18/90)

sdbm is now accessible as osu-cis!~/sdbm/sdbm.Z.