[comp.mail.sendmail] Changing user@address to user%address@gateway

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (12/18/90)

Because of security reasons, our internet machine is not friendly with the
rest of the machines in the company.  Thus mail addresses need to be hacked
from user@address to user%address@gateway.  Note my "Reply-To" address for
specifics.  What I want to do is change the sendmail.cf to modify all outgoing
mail that it can't find local machines for to the user%address@gateway form.
It would also be nice to modify the "From" line to the proper incoming form.

I am a complete beginner when it comes to sendmail.cf and it is the most
cryptic thing I've found on UNIX yet.  Any help at all would be appreciated.

--
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American
 movie and TV stars. Stars like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bart Simpson."

In article <1990Dec17.184212.484@javelin.es.com> pashdown%javelin@dsd.es.com writes:

>Because of security reasons, our internet machine is not friendly with the
>rest of the machines in the company.  Thus mail addresses need to be hacked
>from user@address to user%address@gateway.  Note my "Reply-To" address for
>specifics.  What I want to do is change the sendmail.cf to modify all outgoing

 No they don't.  According to my nameserver, I can send mail to
'pashdown@javelin.es.com'.  My mailer will transfer the message to host
'orca.es.com' which is on Internet.  I presume that orca.es.com is also
on your internal network, and capable of forwarding the mail to javelin.
All this with the magic of MX records.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (12/19/90)

rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:

>In article <1990Dec17.184212.484@javelin.es.com> pashdown%javelin@dsd.es.com writes:
>>
>>Because of security reasons, our internet machine is not friendly with the
>>rest of the machines in the company.  Thus mail addresses need to be hacked
>>from user@address to user%address@gateway.  Note my "Reply-To" address for
>>specifics.  What I want to do is change the sendmail.cf to modify all outgoing

> No they don't.  According to my nameserver, I can send mail to
>'pashdown@javelin.es.com'.  My mailer will transfer the message to host
>'orca.es.com' which is on Internet.  I presume that orca.es.com is also
                                        ^^^^^^^
>on your internal network, and capable of forwarding the mail to javelin.

That's where you are wrong.  'orca' is not capable of finding 'javelin' at
all.  However, 'orca' is capable of finding 'dsd' which is capable of
finding 'javelin'.  I know the obvious answer is to _fix 'orca'_, but
unfortunately, I have no control over that.

--

clive@mungarra.asis.unimelb.edu.au (Clive Newall) (12/19/90)

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:

>rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:

>> No they don't.  According to my nameserver, I can send mail to
>>'pashdown@javelin.es.com'.  My mailer will transfer the message to host
>>'orca.es.com' which is on Internet.  I presume that orca.es.com is also
>>on your internal network, and capable of forwarding the mail to javelin.

>That's where you are wrong.  'orca' is not capable of finding 'javelin' at
>all.  However, 'orca' is capable of finding 'dsd' which is capable of
>finding 'javelin'.  I know the obvious answer is to _fix 'orca'_, but
>unfortunately, I have no control over that.

Then I think you should tell whoever does, that unless THEY fix orca, they are
LYING about their status as the MX forwarder to the hosts in es.com.

By having the MX record for javelin point to orca, orca is claiming to be able
to forward mail to javelin. If this is not the case, surely it is their
responsibility to correct things...

>>  Neil W. Rickert, Computer Science               <rickert@cs.niu.edu>

>  Pete Ashdown  pashdown%javelin@dsd.es.com  ...dsd.es.com!javelin!pashdown
Clive Newall				E-mail: clive@asis.unimelb.EDU.AU
			{or try: clive%asis.unimelb.EDU.AU@munnari.OZ.AU}
Admin. Systems & Info. Serv., Univ. of Melb., Parkville, Vict., Aust., 3052