[comp.mail.sendmail] Inexact addresses

jaynes@med.umich.edu (William Jaynes) (12/20/90)

Is there any version of sendmail that allows for inexact addresses.  I know that
the FUZZY option in the IDA version enables a last ditch matching on the name
field in /etc/passwd.  Is this available using some arbitrary file other than
/etc/passwd?  The senario I'm thinking of is the following:
  - Mail comes in.
  - Sendmail resolves it local and tries to deliver
  - Delivery fails
  - Before bouncing the message, sendmail takes the local part of the
    address and tries some kind of matching within some file.
  - If some match succeeds sendmail tries to deliver using what was returned
  - If that fails then bounce the message

Anything like this out there?

Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM (12/20/90)

AMDS (Andrew Message Delivery System, part of the Andrew software
available on the X.V11R4 tape) functions as a back-end to sendmail--or
any other mailer--in the way that you suggest.  That is, it is a local
mail delivery system that runs addresses through a heuristic match if
the straightforward match fails.  It's well suited for running on top of
AFS, in which the number of ``local users'' in an AFS cell can range up
to 10^4 (and beyond).  To hook sendmail to AMDS, you have to tell
sendmail to leave local addresses alone, which means that you have to
invent another mailer besides the one called ``local'', and send all
local mail to that new mailer (which is just the submission point to
AMDS).

You do run a risk when you deliver to heuristic name matches.  When I
was more involved with andrew.cmu.edu, we decided to bounce mail unless
there was an exact match for surname or userid.  This doesn't stop AMDS
from bouncing even a unique fuzzy match: it simply tells you a bit about
the user and lets you know a working address for that person.  Send a
message to somerandomaddress@andrew.cmu.edu for an example.

		Craig

wolfgang@wsrcc.com (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) (12/22/90)

>You do run a risk when you deliver to heuristic name matches.  When I
>was more involved with andrew.cmu.edu, we decided to bounce mail unless
>there was an exact match for surname or userid.

Even this is often risky.  We used to chuckle everytime some fuzzy
matcher sent mail for a person called 'nancy' to our usenet site
called 'nancy'.  The mail usually got dumped on postmaster since it
didn't even have a local user name on it - the address stopped at the
machine name!

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    wolfgang@wsrcc.com (or) uunet!wsrcc!wolfgang
Snail Mail Address:   Box 6524, Alexandria, VA 22306-0524

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (12/22/90)

jaynes@med.umich.edu (William Jaynes) writes:

>Is there any version of sendmail that allows for inexact addresses.  I know that
>the FUZZY option in the IDA version enables a last ditch matching on the name
>field in /etc/passwd.  Is this available using some arbitrary file other than
>/etc/passwd?  The senario I'm thinking of is the following:
>  - Mail comes in.
>  - Sendmail resolves it local and tries to deliver
>  - Delivery fails
>  - Before bouncing the message, sendmail takes the local part of the
>    address and tries some kind of matching within some file.
>  - If some match succeeds sendmail tries to deliver using what was returned
>  - If that fails then bounce the message

This is no big deal to do.  Replace the #ifdef'ed FUZZY code in recipient.c
with your customized code.  Henry Spencer's regex package could be used to
good effect.

A lot depends on what you want to do and the worst-case consequences of
mis-delivered mail.

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910