[comp.mail.sendmail] Another Novice Needs sendmail Help

adnan@sgtech.uucp (Adnan Yaqub) (12/06/90)

[Note: I am running Interactive Unix 2.2 and their TCP/IP and sendmail
on a 386 box.]

I could use your help.  I have a configuration of sendmail which
seems do just what I want when I test it using "sendmail -bt".
However, when I try to actually send mail, I always get "Host unknown"
messages for any address with a host name attached.

For example, if I do "sendmail -bt" and put "0 adnan@chubsie" in as a
test (assuming that "chubsie" is in my local domain, which is
"sgtech.uucp", and can be reached via ethernet), I get back as the
output of rule 0:

rewrite: ruleset  0 returns: "^V" "ether" "^W" "chubsie" "^X" "adnan"
"@" "chubsie" "." "sgtech" "." "uucp"

Which is what I expect.

However, when I send mail to adnan@chubsie I always get:

550 adnan@chubsie... Host unknown

Any ideas?
--
Adnan Yaqub (adnan@sgtech.uucp)
Star Gate Technologies

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (12/06/90)

adnan@sgtech.uucp writes:
   rewrite: ruleset  0 returns: "^V" "ether" "^W" "chubsie" "^X" "adnan"
   "@" "chubsie" "." "sgtech" "." "uucp"
   However, when I send mail to adnan@chubsie I always get:
   550 adnan@chubsie... Host unknown

A couple of things.  Most fundamentally, if sendmail is resolving a
host to "chubsie.sgtech.uucp," then your hosts table (not being on the
Internet, I assume you use /etc/hosts) must contain an IP entry for
that host by exactly that name.  Having an entry for just "chubsie" is
insufficient within this context; the full name is required.  Add it
to the relevant line of your hosts table, e.g.,

192.193.194.5	chubsie chubsie.sgtech.uucp

Somewhat more mundanely...t'ain't no such domain as "sgtech.uucp" in a
Real Sense.  The top-level domain ".uucp" is a hack instigated vaguely
of necessity by the UUCP Project when getting registrations going and
when creating smail 2.x.  Having hosts within that domain is a bit
bizarre at best.  You'd do much better to register a real domain and
use it for all news/mail-related correspondence.  Then you could have
(presumably) "chubsie.sgtech.com" in your hosts table, things would
look a lot more like the rest of the universe expects it to look, and
more of the world would be able (to say nothing of more willing) to
correspond with you in the first place.

In article <KARL.90Dec5224122@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu writes:

>Somewhat more mundanely...t'ain't no such domain as "sgtech.uucp" in a
>Real Sense.  The top-level domain ".uucp" is a hack instigated vaguely
>of necessity by the UUCP Project when getting registrations going and
>when creating smail 2.x.  Having hosts within that domain is a bit
>bizarre at best.

Has anyone considered an internet nameserver for .uucp?  Or is this
one of those silly questions where everyone else already knows
why something so obvious isn't being done?

The .uucp appendage doesn't mean anything to real uucp sites - it
had to be intended as syntactic sugar to coax internet sites into
believing that they really exist.  If Rutgers or Uunet (or anyone
else, for that matter) would provide name service for everything
in the uucp maps the illusion would be complete and everyone
else could stop treating .uucp as a special case.

Is this physically or politically impossible, or is no one willing
to do it?

>You'd do much better to register a real domain and
>use it for all news/mail-related correspondence.

People keep using postal analogies about electronic mail:

Go to post office - clerk says: "Sorry sir, we can't handle your
mail until you change your name.  The forms are available at ... "

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec07.200835.20108@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
   People keep using postal analogies about electronic mail:

   Go to post office - clerk says: "Sorry sir, we can't handle your
   mail until you change your name.  The forms are available at ... "

Wrong analogy.  Try:

Go to post office - clerk says: "Sorry sir, we can't handle your mail
until you use a complete address."
--
Rich Kaul                         | It wouldn't be research if we
kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu    | knew what we were doing.

oc@vmp.com (Orlan Cannon) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec07.200835.20108@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <KARL.90Dec5224122@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
>
>>Somewhat more mundanely...t'ain't no such domain as "sgtech.uucp" in a
>>Real Sense.  The top-level domain ".uucp" is a hack instigated vaguely
>>of necessity by the UUCP Project when getting registrations going and
>>when creating smail 2.x.  Having hosts within that domain is a bit
>>bizarre at best.
>
>Has anyone considered an internet nameserver for .uucp?  Or is this
>one of those silly questions where everyone else already knows
>why something so obvious isn't being done?
>
>The .uucp appendage doesn't mean anything to real uucp sites - it
>had to be intended as syntactic sugar to coax internet sites into
>believing that they really exist.  If Rutgers or Uunet (or anyone
>else, for that matter) would provide name service for everything
>in the uucp maps the illusion would be complete and everyone
>else could stop treating .uucp as a special case.
>
>Is this physically or politically impossible, or is no one willing
>to do it?

Gee, Les, I seem to remember the first documents I got about the UUCP
Project.  I vaguely recall that the idea was to register all the UUCP
sites just like the Internet sites and set up a not-for-profit
nameserver just to handle the correct routing of this kind of mail.
Thus was UUNET born.  (Can anyone fill me in on this part of UUNET
history?)

Of course, now UUNET is a for-profit corporation, and its goals
and responsibilities are less defined.  The main thing I hear from
them on the net these days is apologies for mail getting severely
backed up at Internet sites because they can only handle something
like 200 concurrent sendmail processes (or something like that).

I think the original concept is absurd because noone really knows
the true extent of the UUCP world.  Especially now that there are
so many implementations of UUCP in the non-Unix world that are
connecting to the UUCP mail network.  As a for-profit company,
UUNET has to try to get maximum usage from their hardware, which
means delays, slower throughput, but increased real "throughput",
regardless of what their critics say.  (Can you imagine what these
mail-deliviery problems would be like *without* UUNET?)

My personal feeling?  UUNET is a great start, but they're close to
overloaded.  We need to start the UUCP Project all over again.
Perhaps a not-for-profit UUNET2?

--
Orlan Cannon                            oc@vmp.com
Video Marketing & Publications, Inc.    (800) 627-4551

mcr@Latour.Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) (12/12/90)

  [followup's to comp.mail.misc. This doesn't really belong in
comp.mail.sendmail. Some might think comp.mail.uucp might be more k
appropriate though -- change the followup]

In article <1990Dec8.234514.11668@vmp.com> oc@vmp.com (Orlan Cannon) writes:
>sites just like the Internet sites and set up a not-for-profit
>nameserver just to handle the correct routing of this kind of mail.
>Thus was UUNET born.  (Can anyone fill me in on this part of UUNET
>history?)

  This was not entirely the way I understood uunet's creation.

>My personal feeling?  UUNET is a great start, but they're close to
>overloaded.  We need to start the UUCP Project all over again.
>Perhaps a not-for-profit UUNET2?

  I had also understood that there might eventually be multiple
uunet-like sites. But I don't think that making .UUCP official
is such a good idea either.
  What needs to be done is to encourage people to start registering
under their municipal domains. I understand that .us doesn't want
people registering AND having sub-domains. I really can't fanthom
the reasons for this kind of thing. It just seems silly to me. So
does .com -- what is wrong with .com.us? (Other than its length)

  You likely can't reply to the address in the From: of the post ---
I'm still waiting for the ocunix.on.ca MX to appear.

--
   :!mcr!:            |    The postmaster never          |  So much mail,
   Michael Richardson |            resolves twice.       |  so few cycles.

marty@speedy.UUCP (J. Martin Strakhovsky) (12/24/90)

In article <59@sgtech.UUCP>, adnan@sgtech.uucp (Adnan Yaqub) writes:
> [Note: I am running Interactive Unix 2.2 and their TCP/IP and sendmail
> on a 386 box.]

I also had the same trouble with Interactive 2.2 untill I discovered
that any host in my domain that I wanted to send mail to had to be in
my host file with its full domain name. ie. host "scorp" has to also
have "scorp.ma02.bull.com" in my host file. This is even though we
are using a mail server in our domain.