[comp.mail.sendmail] smail3.1 & Return-Receipts

steve%nshore@ncoast.org (Stephen J. Walick) (12/30/90)

Has anyone been successful in so configuring "smail3.1" to issue
"Return-Receipt-To: " when it is requested by the sender?  I know
this is very possible with < smail2.5 >, but I have not had any-
body, asked privately, able to allow < smail3.1 > to act like
< smail2.5 > in this respect.

FYI, if this should be of any consequence --

     OS=SCO-Xenix 2.3.3 on an i386 box with Mylex motherboard.

Thanks to anyone who can reply, either via 'E-mail' or through
this newsgroup.

Regards, and a Happy New Year....  Steve Walick

--

Stephen J. Walick, Asst Sysop of the  < XBBS >  program  at  NCoast.ORG
{uunet|backbone}!ncoast.org!nshore!steve        nshore!steve@ncoast.org

In article <1990Dec29.215430.29787@nshore.uucp> nshore!steve@ncoast.org (Stephen J. Walick) writes:
>Has anyone been successful in so configuring "smail3.1" to issue
>"Return-Receipt-To: " when it is requested by the sender?

This was brought up a while back and the "quick-fix" resolution was
to add a new driver to your transports file that executes a shell
script that looks for the receipt request and generates the appropriate
response.  The "uux" driver is a good model for running external
programs.  Then add this driver as the "shadow" transport for all of
the other transports that make local deliveries.
If your mail volume is such that running an extra program doesn't bother
you, this should work fine.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us