[comp.mail.sendmail] How do I stop errors from being mailed back?

kevink@bryant.NCD.COM (Kevin Kelleher) (01/24/91)

I am using the default sendmail which Sun ships with SunOS 4.1
and have a need to do the following:

I have a mail alias which redistributes mail to a number of people,
but I would prefer that if mail is not deliverable to one of these
people that the postmaster and not the sender of the message be
notified.

I tried having messages to the list be run through
sendmail -fpostmaster, but that didn't seem to have
the desired effect.

Any suggestions?

Kevin Kelleher				kevink@ncd.com
Network Computing Devices (NCD)		(415) 691-2593

kyle@uunet.UU.NET (Kyle Jones) (01/24/91)

Kevin Kelleher writes:
 > I am using the default sendmail which Sun ships with SunOS 4.1
 > and have a need to do the following:
 >
 > I have a mail alias which redistributes mail to a number of people,
 > but I would prefer that if mail is not deliverable to one of these
 > people that the postmaster and not the sender of the message be
 > notified.

Do all of these things:

  1. If your mailing list is implemented as an alias named "list",
     have another alias named "owner-list" that point to the
     person you want to receive error messages.
  2. Send mail to the mailing list using the sendmail's -f flag
     to change sendmail's idea of the sender of the message.
  3. Insert a Sender and an Errors-To header into the message,
     both pointing to the person you want to receive error
     messages.

 > I tried having messages to the list be run through
 > sendmail -fpostmaster, but that didn't seem to have
 > the desired effect.

The sender has to be a trusted user or the -f argument has to
have a `!' in it for the -f flag to work.