[comp.mail.sendmail] biff/comsat problem

hg1915@milton.u.washington.edu (Helen Gottschalk) (02/05/91)

 I have problem to get my biff/comsat function correctly.  Everything sounds
in places.  /etc/services has biff as 512/udp and inetd.conf will bring up
the comsat in incoming message.
 My guess is that no message is ever arrive in that port.  Which process
will send message to biff port? Is local sendmail or remote sendmail or
someone else?

Any suggestion ?

Thanks,

Jessie

----
SpaceLabs Inc.        hg1915@milton.u.washington.edu
Redmond, WA

In article <15767@milton.u.washington.edu> hg1915@milton.u.washington.edu (Helen Gottschalk) writes:

> I have problem to get my biff/comsat function correctly.  Everything sounds

> My guess is that no message is ever arrive in that port.  Which process
>will send message to biff port? Is local sendmail or remote sendmail or

 'sendmail' itself has nothing to do with biff.  On a standard BSD system,
it is /bin/mail which forwards a packet to 'comsat' for the biff message.
Usually /bin/mail is used as the local mailer for delivery to a mailbox.

 A common cause for biff 'failure' is that the local mail is not really
delivered locally, but is forwarded to a file server for deposit in your
mail spool directory which your client machine is NFS mounting.  In such
a case 'biff' presumably works when you are logged into the server machine,
but not if you are logged into one of the clients.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940